Morning Tea: Swamp Rabbits at Cyclones
Greenville Swamp Rabbits (9-10-3-1) vs. Cincinnati Cyclones (15-11-1-0)
December 29, 2021 | 7:35 PM | Regular Season Game #25
Referees: Trevor Wohlford (38)
Linesmen: Will Anderson (92), Bryan Gorcoff (94)
Pregame Coverage begins at 7:15pm
LISTEN: Greenville Swamp Rabbits Broadcast Network
WATCH: FloHockey Live Stream
Voice of the Swamp Rabbits Mark Shelley on the call
CYCLONES SEASON SERIES
Season Series Record:
Overall: (0-0-0-0) Home: (0-0-0-0) Away: (0-0-0-0)
February 28, 2020: Greenville 1 at Cincinnati 4
December 31, 2021 Greenville at Cincinnati
BEFORE THE BREAK:
The Swamp Rabbits fell to the Toledo Walleye 2-1 in overtime last Sunday before taking 10 days off around the Christmas Holiday. The game was scoreless through the end of the first period, a rare occurrence in Greenville. Brandon Hawkins would score the first goal of the game giving Toledo a 1-0 lead. Nikita Pavlychev would quickly tie the game up with a rebound goal at 13:32 of the second period. The 1-1 scoreline stayed the same through the end of the third period, sending the game into overtime. Randy Gazzola would score the OT game winner for Toledo just 0:42 into the extra period, on a wrist shot from the right face-off dot. Two highly competitive games with the first place Walleye saw the same result both nights in Greenville, despite the Swamp Rabbits showing what they're made of.
SEE YOU IN CINCY
The Swamp Rabbits travel to Cincinnati for a two game set with the 15-11-1-0 Cyclones. Cincinnati is averaging 3.48 goals per game while allowing just 3.07. The Cyclones leading goal scorer is Yushiro Hirano. Hirano has scored 16 goals in 24 games, tacking on 13 assists as well. Hirano is currently on an eight-game point streak (9G, 6A) dating back to 12/5. Hirano leads the ECHL in goals scored, and sits in 4th for overall points so far this season. Mat Robson has seen the most action in net for Cincinnati, holding a 10-6-1 record, 2.51 goals against average, and .902 save percentage.
FINDING NEW FRIENDS:
Greenville added two skaters on Thursday, defenseman Jake Cass and forward Mike Gornall. Cass, a 25-year-old rookie has played just three games in the ECHL, recording one assist on 12/10 for the Maine Mariners. Gornall, a 27-year-old rookie, played in seven games this season, recording his lone assist on opening night, playing for the Cincinnati Cyclones.
BACK FROM CLT:
Liam Pecararo and Max Zimmer have returned yet again from a stint with the Charlotte Checkers. Pecararo leads the Swamp Rabbits scoring efforts, recording 9 goals and 10 assists in his 16 games with Greenville. Zimmer is not far behind, holding 9 goals and 7 assists in 18 games. The pair of forwards have each played four games with the Checkers in 2021.
PARTING WITH PAVS
Nikita Pavlychev was called up to the Ontario Reign on Monday after 14 games in Greenville this season. Pavlychev has been a valuable player for the Swamp Rabbits, recording seven goals and four assists including the lone Grenville goal last game against the Walleye.
WHAT ON TAP:
The Swamp Rabbits travel back to Greenville for a New Years Day matchup with the Orlando Solarbears. The 13-12-1 Solar Bears were in first place the last time they came to Greenville. Since that night Orlando has dropped five of their last seven games falling from first place to fourth in the south division standings. Aaron Luchuk has recorded 12 goals and 15 assists, leading the way for the Solar Bears who average 2.88 GPG. Brad Barone has been the best in net for Orlando, holding a 7-4 record in 13 games, averaging 2.3 goals against and a .937 SV%.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 28, 2021
- Admirals Drop Seventh Straight Game to Indy - Norfolk Admirals
- Lackey Shutout Earns Fuel Win over Norfolk - Indy Fuel
- Morning Tea: Swamp Rabbits at Cyclones - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Brian McCormack to Make NHL Radio Debut Tonight with Vegas - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - December 28 - ECHL
- Goaltender Matt Jurusik Signs AHL Contract with Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Rush Announce 2021-22 Rush Puppy Project - Rapid City Rush
- Cyclones Home Ice Highlights: December 29-31 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cockerill Signed, Pritchard Signs PTO with Rochester, Ustimenko on Taxi Squad - Reading Royals
- Ara Nazarian Loaned to AHL's Rochester Americans - Jacksonville Icemen
- Game of December 29th and 30th Postponed - Trois-Rivieres Lions
- Cyclones Send 3 up to AHL-Americans - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Schedule Update: Postponement of Games - Newfoundland Growlers
- Oilers Take Back to Back Victories over the Thunder - Tulsa Oilers
- Komets Close in on First Place - Fort Wayne Komets
- Entire Red Wings Alumni Roster Announced for Thursday - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Sign 31-Year-Old Defenseman Smutek - South Carolina Stingrays
- Pelech Named ECHL Player of the Week - Atlanta Gladiators
- Atlanta's Pelech Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Americans Weekly - Allen Americans
- Adirondack's Kasel Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Brandon Kasel Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Adirondack Thunder
- Parik, Rush, Blank Grizzlies, 3-0 - Rapid City Rush
- Parik, Rush Snaps Grizz Win Streak - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Swamp Rabbits Re-Sign Ayden Macdonald
- Swamp Rabbits Announce 2021-22 Season-Ending Roster
- Swamp Rabbits Announce 2022-23 Regular Season Schedule
- Swamp Rabbits, Checkers Announce Multiple Roster Moves
- Rabbits Fall Short of Tying Goal, Drop Game 4 2-1 to Everblades