Moose Work OT to Stop Belleville
The Manitoba Moose (19-23-0-0) claimed a 3-2 overtime victory against the Belleville Senators (23-13-3-1) on Wednesday night at Bell MTS Place.
With 5:08 gone in the first period, Josh Norris opened the scoring for Belleville with a power play goal to give the Senators the 1-0 advantage. With just 29 seconds remaining in the frame, Manitoba answered as Leon Gawanke set up Logan Shaw who capitalized on the man advantage and tied the game 1-1. Just 18 seconds later, Michael Spacek made a slick pass and found Cameron Schilling who netted his fifth of the season to give Manitoba the 2-1 lead.
With 3:20 gone in the second period, Joseph LaBate scored for the Senators and tied the game 2-2. With 8:27 remaining in the second, Manitoba had their best scoring chance of the frame from C.J. Suess on a breakaway opportunity, however he was unable to capitalize.
During the third period, Manitoba tested Belleville's netminder Filip Gustavsson with 14 shots on net. Neither club was able to gain the lead in the third frame and the game was decided in extra time. Just over three minutes into overtime, Michael Spacek tucked Johnathan Kovacevic's rebound behind Gustavsson to secure Manitoba's 3-2 overtime victory.
The Moose remain undefeated in overtime this season collecting a victory in all four of their extra time decisions
In notching a goal and an assist in tonight's matchup, Spacek posted his second multi-point game of the season
Spacek has tallied two overtime goals throughout his AHL career
Cameron Schilling is currently on a two-game point streak (1G, 1A) What's Next?
The Moose will host the Laval Rocket on Saturday, Jan. 18. Puck drop is scheduled for 2 p.m. Saturday's matchup is Manitoba's Follow your Dreams game. Players will showcase limited edition indigenized jerseys during the matchup. Tickets are available at moosehockey.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 16, 2020
- Condors Host Colorado with Bobbleheads, $2 Beer, and $1 Hot Dogs - Bakersfield Condors
- Marlies in San Antonio for Rematch against Rampage - Toronto Marlies
- Moose Recall Beaudoin - Manitoba Moose
- Dallas Stars Recall Defenseman Stephen Johns from Conditioning Assignment in Texas - Texas Stars
- Bears Recall Matt Weis from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- P-Bruins Sign Martin Ouellette to AHL Contract - Providence Bruins
- Matteo Gennaro Recalled from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comtois, Lundestrom Reassigned to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Corrado Expanding ESE Hockey to Toronto - Belleville Senators
- NHL Veteran Winger Chris Stewart Loaned to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Announce Three Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Barracuda Thrash Eagles, Finish Homestand with 7-2 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Reach Season't Halfway Mark with Third Straight Win - San Diego Gulls
- Eagles Upended in 7-2 Loss at San Jose - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Drop Midweek Tilt against San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Moose Work OT to Stop Belleville - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals Turn Back Wolves in Shoot-Out - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Denied in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Soar Past Penguins 5-2 Behind Kero's Hat Trick - Texas Stars
- Sens Fall in Overtime to Manitoba - Belleville Senators
- Morgan Frost Scores Twice in Offensive Explosion - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hogs Slip Past Griffins in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Penguins Stalled by Stars, 5-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.