Heat Drop Midweek Tilt against San Diego
STOCKTON, Calif. - Stockton's three-game win streak came to a halt Wednesday as the San Diego Gulls took a 4-1 decision over the Heat at Stockton Arena. The Heat peppered San Diego netminder Anthony Stolarz with 37 shots in the game, but the goalie earned first star honors with a 36-save performance. San Diego jumped on top first, Kiefer Sherwood scoring shorthanded for a 1-0 lead just over nine minutes into the contest, but Stockton drew even early in the second as Mason Morelli lit the lamp less than six minutes into in the middle frame. Brent Gates, Jr. delivered what proved to be the game-winner two minutes later, and the Gulls added a pair of empty-netters in the waning seconds for the 4-1 final. Both teams went scoreless on the power play, Stockton going empty on four chances and holding the Gulls off the board in three cracks on the man-advantage. The regulation loss was the first time this season that Stockton went without a point against San Diego, now 4-1-0-1 on the year.
W: Anthony Stolarz (37 shots, 36 saves)
L: Jon Gillies (21 shots, 19 saves)
Three Stars: First - Anthony Stolarz (36 svs), Second - Brent Gates, Jr. (1g, gwg), Third - Mason Morelli (1g)
Shots On Goal: STK - 37, SD - 21
Power Plays: STK - 0-4, SD - 0-3
- The Gulls have scored first in four of six meetings with Stockton this season.
- Mason Morelli's goal in the second period was his third of the season and second against the Gulls.
- Alan Quine's scoring streak was snapped at six games, Stockton's win streak at three.
- Stockton was held scoreless on the power play after entering the game at 35.3-percent against San Diego for the year.
- The Heat are now 4-1-0-1 on the year against San Diego.
The Heat will host the annual Teddy Bear Toss game on Saturday, a 6 p.m. puck drop against the Colorado Eagles. Discounted tickets for the game are available at StocktonHeat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 16, 2020
- Condors Host Colorado with Bobbleheads, $2 Beer, and $1 Hot Dogs - Bakersfield Condors
- Marlies in San Antonio for Rematch against Rampage - Toronto Marlies
- Moose Recall Beaudoin - Manitoba Moose
- Dallas Stars Recall Defenseman Stephen Johns from Conditioning Assignment in Texas - Texas Stars
- Bears Recall Matt Weis from South Carolina - Hershey Bears
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- P-Bruins Sign Martin Ouellette to AHL Contract - Providence Bruins
- Matteo Gennaro Recalled from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Comtois, Lundestrom Reassigned to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Corrado Expanding ESE Hockey to Toronto - Belleville Senators
- NHL Veteran Winger Chris Stewart Loaned to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Monsters Announce Three Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Barracuda Thrash Eagles, Finish Homestand with 7-2 Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Gulls Reach Season't Halfway Mark with Third Straight Win - San Diego Gulls
- Eagles Upended in 7-2 Loss at San Jose - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Drop Midweek Tilt against San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Moose Work OT to Stop Belleville - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals Turn Back Wolves in Shoot-Out - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Denied in Shootout - Chicago Wolves
- Stars Soar Past Penguins 5-2 Behind Kero's Hat Trick - Texas Stars
- Sens Fall in Overtime to Manitoba - Belleville Senators
- Morgan Frost Scores Twice in Offensive Explosion - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hogs Slip Past Griffins in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Penguins Stalled by Stars, 5-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.