Monsters Comeback Earns Point in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Marlies
TORONTO - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters fell the Toronto Marlies 4-3 in overtime on Wednesday afternoon at Coca Cola Coliseum. With the loss, the Monsters are now 24-26-4-2 and are currently in eighth place in the AHL's North Division standings with 54 points.
The Marlies began the day with goals from Miikka Salomaki at 3:46 and Michael Kapla at 7:24 of the opening frame, but the Monsters responded with a tally from Trey Fix-Wolansky at 17:53 off feeds from Dillon Simpson and Ryan MacInnis to cut the deficit to 2-1 after 20 minutes. Toronto's Tyler Gaudet started the middle frame converting on a power-play goal at 3:30, but Cleveland gained momentum beginning with MacInnis' tally on the man advantage at 12:52 off helpers from Fix-Wolansky and Adam Clendening. Clendening added a power-play marker for the Monsters at 19:24 with assists from Branden Troock and MacInnis to enter the final intermission tied 3-3. Following a scoreless third period, Tanner MacMaster notched the game-winning tally 22 seconds into overtime securing the win for Toronto.
Cleveland's Veini Vehvilainen made 27 saves in defeat while Toronto's Joseph Woll stopped 14 shots in victory.
The Monsters return home to host the Belleville Senators on Friday evening with a 7:00 p.m. puck drop at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. Follow the games with full coverage on ALT 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Stay up to date on all Monsters news with the Monsters Mobile App presented by University Hospitals available to download at the Apple Store or Google Play Store. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final
CLE 1 2 0 0 - 3
TOR 2 1 0 1 - 4
Shots PP PK PIM
CLE 17 2/3 6/7 14 min / 7 inf
TOR 31 1/7 1/3 6 min / 3 inf
Goaltender Outcome Saves GA Record
CLE Vehvilainen OT 27 4 10-15-4
TOR Woll W 14 3 10-12-3
Cleveland Record: 24-26-4-2, 8th North Division
Toronto Record: 27-22-3-2, 5th North Division
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters goaltender Veini Vehvilainen vs. the Toronto Marlies
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 26, 2020
- P-Bruins Make It Six Straight Wins, Top Wbs Penguins, 6-2 - Providence Bruins
- Sens Fall to Laval to Close out Homestand - Belleville Senators
- Barber Scores, But Penguins Lose to Bruins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Topple Amerks in Shootout - Utica Comets
- Detroit Recalls Cholowski - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Mitchell Stephens from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Texas Stars Assign Three to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Condors 2020-21 Ticket Plans on Sale Now - Bakersfield Condors
- Join the Hogs for the First-Ever Brew-Ha-Hogs Beer Sampling - Rockford IceHogs
- Baptiste Excited to Join Contending Sens - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Comeback Earns Point in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Coyotes Acquire Hannikainen from Columbus - Tucson Roadrunners
- San Diego Gulls Assign Drew and Gates to Tulsa, Johnston to Idaho - San Diego Gulls
- LA Kings Recall Gabriel Vilardi - Ontario Reign
- Game 52 Preview: San Diego at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Start Four-Game Road Swing in Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 vs. Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, February 26 - Belleville Senators
- Phantoms Loan Max Willman to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Florida Panthers Assign Goaltender Chris Driedger to Springfield (AHL) on Conditioning Loan - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies Host Morning Matchup against Monsters - Toronto Marlies
- Monsters Sign Forward Lindsay Sparks to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Special Teams Leads Iowa to 5-2 Win against Chicago - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters to Host Girls Street Hockey Clinics with Olympian Brianne McLaughlin
- Monsters Sign Forward Zach Jordan to AHL Contract
- Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse Hosts Select Initial Public Events
- Monsters Launch Digital Fan Salute Week Presented by Rascal House
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Regular Season, Playoffs