San Diego Gulls Assign Drew and Gates to Tulsa, Johnston to Idaho
SAN DIEGO - The San Diego Gulls announced today that the American Hockey League (AHL) club has assigned defenseman Hunter Drew and left wing Brent Gates Jr. to the Tulsa Oilers of the ECHL. In addition, defenseman Ryan Johnston has been assigned to the Idaho Steelheads of the ECHL.
Drew, 21 (10/21/98), recorded 2-5=7 points with a +6 rating and 33 penalty minutes (PIM) in 29 games with San Diego, including his first professional goal Oct. 11 at San Jose. The 6-1, 191-pound native of Kingston, Ontario earned 24-68' points with a +31 rating and 369 PIM in 167 career Quebec Major Junior Hockey League games with the Charlottetown Islanders from 2016-19. Selected by the Anaheim Ducks in the sixth round (178th overall) of the 2018 NHL Draft, Drew was signed a one-year contract by San Diego Aug. 14, 2019.
Gates, 22 (8/12/97), collected 4-1=5 points and four PIM in 20 games with the Gulls this season. The 6-2, 196-pound forward has recorded 5-2=7 points in 26 career AHL games with San Diego. A native of Grand Rapids, Mich., Gates Jr. has scored 6-8=14 points with a +5 rating and 10 PIM in 20 ECHL games with the Oilers this season. Selected by the Anaheim Ducks in the third round (80th overall) of the 2015 NHL Draft, Gates Jr. recorded 42-43... points with a +14 rating and 61 PIM in 148 games over four seasons at Minnesota (2015-19).
Johnston, 28 (2/14/92), has tallied 1-5=6 points with a +2 rating in 14 games with San Diego this season. The 5-10, 179-pound defenseman was acquired by the Gulls from the Toronto Marlies in exchange for future considerations Oct. 31. A native of Sudbury, Ontario, Johnston has earned 6-30=36 points and 36 PIM in 101 career AHL games with San Diego and St. John's. Johnston has also appeared in 10 career National Hockey League (NHL) games with the Montreal Canadiens.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 26, 2020
- P-Bruins Make It Six Straight Wins, Top Wbs Penguins, 6-2 - Providence Bruins
- Sens Fall to Laval to Close out Homestand - Belleville Senators
- Barber Scores, But Penguins Lose to Bruins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Topple Amerks in Shootout - Utica Comets
- Detroit Recalls Cholowski - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Mitchell Stephens from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Texas Stars Assign Three to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Condors 2020-21 Ticket Plans on Sale Now - Bakersfield Condors
- Join the Hogs for the First-Ever Brew-Ha-Hogs Beer Sampling - Rockford IceHogs
- Baptiste Excited to Join Contending Sens - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Comeback Earns Point in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Coyotes Acquire Hannikainen from Columbus - Tucson Roadrunners
- San Diego Gulls Assign Drew and Gates to Tulsa, Johnston to Idaho - San Diego Gulls
- LA Kings Recall Gabriel Vilardi - Ontario Reign
- Game 52 Preview: San Diego at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Start Four-Game Road Swing in Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 vs. Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, February 26 - Belleville Senators
- Phantoms Loan Max Willman to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Florida Panthers Assign Goaltender Chris Driedger to Springfield (AHL) on Conditioning Loan - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies Host Morning Matchup against Monsters - Toronto Marlies
- Monsters Sign Forward Lindsay Sparks to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Special Teams Leads Iowa to 5-2 Win against Chicago - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Gulls Stories
- Gulls and Computers 2 Kids to Donate Computers and School Supplies to Local Students Wednesday, August 12
- Anaheim Ducks Sign Jacob Larsson to Two-Year Contract Extension
- Anaheim Ducks Sign Sonny Milano to Two-Year Contract Extension
- San Diego Gulls Receives 2019-20 AHL Outstanding Fan Experience Award
- San Diego Gulls Donate $230,000 to San Diego Community in 2019-20