Barber Scores, But Penguins Lose to Bruins
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins lost to the Providence Bruins, 6-2, at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza on Wednesday night.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (27-22-3-5) struck early, but a big output by Providence in the second period spoiled the night for the Penguins and their fans at home.
The Penguins wasted little time getting on the board, scoring 2:12 into the first period. After a point shot by Pierre-Olivier Joseph led to a loose puck at the net-front, Sam Miletic found the rebound amidst the swarm and hoisted it under the crossbar for the game's opening goal.
A Josiah Didier blast that followed a face-off win by the Bruins tied the contest, 1-1, midway through the first frame.
Providence's offense took flight in the second period, starting with a goal by Cameron Hughes 41 seconds into the frame. Hughes struck again for the Bruins at 7:26 of the second, making it 3-1.
A silver lining in the second period was Riley Barber notching his first goal as a Penguin on a breakaway, but the Bruins' Cooper Zech responded a mere 1:28 later and put Providence in a 4-2 lead.
Shortly after the Penguins successfully fended off their fourth penalty kill of the night, Peter CehlÃ¡rik banged home a one-timer for the Bruins at 2:12 of the third period. That final frame of regulation featured several five-on-three power plays between the two clubs. Ultimately, one of those two-man advantages resulted in a Steven Kampfer goal that put the game out of reach, 6-2.
Casey DeSmith made 35 saves in defeat, while Dan Vladar denied 24 shots for the Bruins.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next game is Friday, Feb. 28, when it pays its only visit to Syracuse this season and takes on the Syracuse Crunch. The Penguins' next home game is Saturday, Mar. 7 against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. Puck drop between the Penguins and the Sound Tigers is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
Individual tickets to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games are on sale now and can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, Ticketmaster.com, or by contacting the Penguins offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the Penguins' 2019-20 regular season, including 12-game, Flexbook and Premium Seating plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Fans can also keep up with the Penguins through the AHL's state-of-the-art, high-definition streaming service, AHLTV. Subscriptions for AHLTV are available now. Fans can visit theahl.com/AHLTV now to register for a free AHLTV account and purchase 2019-20 subscriptions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 26, 2020
- P-Bruins Make It Six Straight Wins, Top Wbs Penguins, 6-2 - Providence Bruins
- Sens Fall to Laval to Close out Homestand - Belleville Senators
- Barber Scores, But Penguins Lose to Bruins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Topple Amerks in Shootout - Utica Comets
- Detroit Recalls Cholowski - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Mitchell Stephens from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Texas Stars Assign Three to Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Condors 2020-21 Ticket Plans on Sale Now - Bakersfield Condors
- Join the Hogs for the First-Ever Brew-Ha-Hogs Beer Sampling - Rockford IceHogs
- Baptiste Excited to Join Contending Sens - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Comeback Earns Point in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Coyotes Acquire Hannikainen from Columbus - Tucson Roadrunners
- San Diego Gulls Assign Drew and Gates to Tulsa, Johnston to Idaho - San Diego Gulls
- LA Kings Recall Gabriel Vilardi - Ontario Reign
- Game 52 Preview: San Diego at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Start Four-Game Road Swing in Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 vs. Utica Comets - Rochester Americans
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, February 26 - Belleville Senators
- Phantoms Loan Max Willman to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Florida Panthers Assign Goaltender Chris Driedger to Springfield (AHL) on Conditioning Loan - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies Host Morning Matchup against Monsters - Toronto Marlies
- Monsters Sign Forward Lindsay Sparks to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Special Teams Leads Iowa to 5-2 Win against Chicago - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.