Menez strikes out career-high 12 as River Cats sneak past Aviators
Las Vegas, Nevada - The Sacramento River Cats (37-36) pitching staff put on a display against the Las Vegas Aviators (41-33), piling up a season-high 21 strikeouts in a wild 12-7 extra-inning win. Starter Conner Menez was brilliant, setting a career-high with 12 strikeouts himself.
It was a statement game for Menez on Friday as the 24-year old worked a brilliant 5.1 innings, striking out a career-high 12 Las Vegas hitters and holding the high-powered Aviator offense to just one run. The left-hander's previous best strikeout total of 11 came on August 19, 2018 while with the Double-A Richmond Flying Squirrels. Menez was relieved in the sixth by fellow lefty Steven Okert after throwing 96 pitches (66 strikes).
As in Thursday night's ballgame, the River Cats scored early and often, building a five-run lead through three innings thanks in part to a trio of third-inning home runs from Austin Slater, Zach Green, and Aramis Garcia. Slater had a massive night at the plate, going 4-for-4 with a home run, two doubles, two walks, two runs scored and four RBI.
However, the River Cats bullpen would falter late again, losing the lead late after a four-run Aviators ninth left the game tied at six apiece. But Sacramento did not roll over, scoring six runs in the 10th inning and holding on for a dramatic 12-7 victory.
The River Cats continue their series with the Aviators tomorrow night behind left-hander Andrew Suarez (3-5, 5.29), who is looking to continue his recent run of success and pick up his fourth win of the year. The Aviators are expected to go with Athletics' top prospect left-hander Jesus Luzardo (0-0, No ERA) in what would be his first Triple-A start of 2019. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, on Money 105.5 FM, or on CW31 throughout the Sacramento region.
- The River Cats have continued to hunt the first pitch, with Austin Slater and Zach Green each homering on the very first pitches they saw in the third inning. Sacramento has now hit 32 first pitch home runs this season, four more than the next team in the Pacific Coast League (Round Rock, 28).
- Conner Menez struck out a career-high 12 batters, but the bullpen pitched in as well, adding nine punchouts of their own for a River Cats season-high 21 total strikeouts. Sacramento pitchers' previous high was 17, which came on June 15 against the Iowa Cubs.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion -San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Omaha Holds off San Antonio 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Two Three-Run Homers Lift Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Memphis Shuts Down Dodgers, 5-0 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Chasers Storm Back to Beat Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Niese Goes Six Shutout, Tacoma Falls to El Paso on Saturday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Blank Dodgers 5-0 - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Snags Rain-Shortened Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Ibanez and Tocci Lead Sounds in Rout - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs Rain on Express Parade in 6-1 Final - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Pound Baby Cakes, 10-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Grizzlies Return Home June 25-28 vs. Las Vegas (Oakland A's) - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes vs. Albuquerque - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (29-44) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (41-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (30-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (30-42) - Memphis Redbirds
- Neuse Continues Torrid Hitting, But Aviators Fall to Sacramento - Las Vegas Aviators
- Menez strikes out career-high 12 as River Cats sneak past Aviators - Sacramento River Cats
- Fraley Shines in Triple-A Debut, Rainiers Even Series with El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma Edges Chihuahuas, 6-5 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Top Topes, 5-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats to Host Annual Preseason Party this Sunday
- River Cats Renew Partnership with FanCompass, Seek to Enhance Fan Engagement
- River Cats to Host Job Fairs January 25 and February 8
- Dave Brundage Returns as River Cats Manager to Defend Title in 2020
- USA Softball Team to Visit Sutter Health Park in Tune-Up for Olympics