Iowa Snags Rain-Shortened Victory
DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Cubs (42-33) took a 6-1 lead over the Round Rock Express (43-31) and captured the victory after the game was called due to inclement weather with two outs in the top of the sixth inning. It marked the second rain-shortened victory of the season for the I-Cubs.
Craig Kimbrel served as Iowa's opener against Round Rock and gave up a solo shot to Joshua Rojas in the first to hand over the game's first lead, but the deficit didn't last. Mark Zagunis punched his first homer of the season to score two in the bottom of the frame following a Dixon Machado walk. Ian Happ singled, Robel Garcia walked and Trent Giambrone capped a big inning with a three-run blast to put the I-Cubs up 5-1.
A Phillip Evans leadoff single in the third added to the Iowa lead as Jim Adduci doubled in the run. The two-bagger extended Adduci's hitting streak to 18 games.
Iowa's bullpen effort was flawless as Craig Brooks (1-0), Danny Hultzen, Junichi Tazawa and Dillon Maples combined for 4.1 scoreless frames.
- Craig Kimbrel gave up one run on one hit, a home run, walked one and struck out one in 0.2 innings of work.
- Trent Giambrone powered his team-leading 15th home run of the season.
- Mark Zagunis went 2-for-3 with one run, one home run and two RBI.
Iowa and Round Rock continue the series with a 1:08 first pitch tomorrow at Principal Park Promotions include Kids Run the Bases, Food Pantry, Pedal to the Park, Cubbie's Kids Club and Iowa Lottery Day. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Omaha Holds off San Antonio 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Two Three-Run Homers Lift Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Memphis Shuts Down Dodgers, 5-0 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Chasers Storm Back to Beat Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Niese Goes Six Shutout, Tacoma Falls to El Paso on Saturday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Blank Dodgers 5-0 - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Snags Rain-Shortened Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Ibanez and Tocci Lead Sounds in Rout - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs Rain on Express Parade in 6-1 Final - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Pound Baby Cakes, 10-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Grizzlies Return Home June 25-28 vs. Las Vegas (Oakland A's) - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes vs. Albuquerque - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (29-44) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (41-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (30-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (30-42) - Memphis Redbirds
- Neuse Continues Torrid Hitting, But Aviators Fall to Sacramento - Las Vegas Aviators
- Menez strikes out career-high 12 as River Cats sneak past Aviators - Sacramento River Cats
- Fraley Shines in Triple-A Debut, Rainiers Even Series with El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma Edges Chihuahuas, 6-5 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Top Topes, 5-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.