Ibanez and Tocci Lead Sounds in Rout
METAIRIE, LA - Andy Ibanez and Carlos Tocci combined for seven hits, four runs and five RBIs on Saturday night, leading the Nashville Sounds to an easy 10-3 win over the New Orleans Baby Cakes at the Shrine on Airline in the middle game of a five-game series. The Sounds totaled a season-high 18 hits and matched their largest margin of victory on the year.
The game was tied 1-1 in the third when Nolan Fontana launched a home run to right field to give the Sounds a lead they never gave away, and they broke open the game with a six-run third off Ben Meyer. Eli White drilled a two-run double, Matt Davidson singled home a run and Ibanez crushed a three-run homer to make it 8-1.
Ibanez collected another run-scoring hit by driving in Tocci with a single in the sixth, and Tocci got his fourth hit with an RBI double in the seventh. Ibanez went 3-for-5 and finished a triple shy of the cycle, and Tocci went 4-for-5, becoming the third Sound this year to have a four-hit game.
Pedro Payano notched his first victory as a Sound, giving up one run in five innings. Taylor Guerrieri and Jake Lemoine had scoreless relief outings, and New Orleans managed two runs in the ninth off Josh Fields for the 10-3 final.
The five-game series continues Sunday afternoon at 1:00 CT. Tim Dillard (5-6, 4.23) is scheduled to start for the Sounds, and Robert Dugger (NR) will pitch for New Orleans.
Carlos Tocci has hit safely in eight games in a row and reached safely in 20 games in a row
This was the Sounds' largest margin of victory since they defeated Round Rock 9-3 on May 17, and it equaled their season-high (13-6 win vs. Oklahoma City on May 8)
Matt Davidson went 3-for-5 and owns a six-game hitting streak
The 2019 season is the 42nd in Nashville Sounds franchise history and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Omaha Holds off San Antonio 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Two Three-Run Homers Lift Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Memphis Shuts Down Dodgers, 5-0 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Chasers Storm Back to Beat Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Niese Goes Six Shutout, Tacoma Falls to El Paso on Saturday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Blank Dodgers 5-0 - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Snags Rain-Shortened Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Ibanez and Tocci Lead Sounds in Rout - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs Rain on Express Parade in 6-1 Final - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Pound Baby Cakes, 10-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Grizzlies Return Home June 25-28 vs. Las Vegas (Oakland A's) - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes vs. Albuquerque - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (29-44) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (41-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (30-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (30-42) - Memphis Redbirds
- Neuse Continues Torrid Hitting, But Aviators Fall to Sacramento - Las Vegas Aviators
- Menez strikes out career-high 12 as River Cats sneak past Aviators - Sacramento River Cats
- Fraley Shines in Triple-A Debut, Rainiers Even Series with El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma Edges Chihuahuas, 6-5 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Top Topes, 5-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Nashville Fails to Sweep Omaha in Sunday's Loss
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (56-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-72)
- Federowicz' Go-Ahead Home Run Wins It for Sounds
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (55-66) vs. Omaha Storm Chasers (52-71)
- Sounds Rally for Win in Front of Sellout Crowd