Omaha Holds off San Antonio 4-3
Storm Chasers first baseman Ryan O'Hearn smashed a go-ahead three-run homer, southpaw Foster Griffin earned his seventh victory and lefty reliever Richard Lovelady notched his third save in Omaha's 4-3 win over the San Antonio Missions on Friday evening at Werner Park.
After San Antonio struck first on C David Freitas ' RBI single, the Storm Chasers evened the contest one frame later courtesy of RF Brett Phillips ' run-scoring knock to right. O'Hearn would then give Omaha its first and only lead by bashing an opposite field three-run shot to left.
The Missions would narrow the deficit to the slimmest of margins with a two-spot in the fifth, however the relief trio of Gabe Speier (1.2 IP, 2 K), Jake Newberry (1.1 IP, 3 H, BB) and Richard Lovelady (1.0 IP, H, 3 K) combined for the final four scoreless frames to keep Omaha out in front.
That triumvirate of relievers supported Griffin (5.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 6 K), who earned his team-best seventh victory of the season, while Lovelady notched his third save. Missions starter Bubba Derby (5.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 5 BB, 4 K) suffered the defeat.
Storm Chasers C Xavier Fernandez (2-3, 2B, BB) posted a multi-hit effort, while Freitas (2-5, 2 RBI), CF Cory Spangenberg (2-4, 2B, BB) and 3B Tyler Saladino (2-3, 2 BB) all tallied two knocks. Omaha SS Jecksson Flores did not record a hit in four at-bats, snapping his hit streak at 12 games.
The Storm Chasers and Missions are anticipated to continue their series on Saturday evening, with first pitch scheduled for 7:05pm CT. Omaha's pitcher has not yet been determined, while San Antonio is expected to give the ball to RHP Aaron Wilkerson (6-1, 1.79).
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Omaha Holds off San Antonio 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Two Three-Run Homers Lift Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Memphis Shuts Down Dodgers, 5-0 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Chasers Storm Back to Beat Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Niese Goes Six Shutout, Tacoma Falls to El Paso on Saturday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Blank Dodgers 5-0 - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Snags Rain-Shortened Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Ibanez and Tocci Lead Sounds in Rout - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs Rain on Express Parade in 6-1 Final - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Pound Baby Cakes, 10-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Grizzlies Return Home June 25-28 vs. Las Vegas (Oakland A's) - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes vs. Albuquerque - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (29-44) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (41-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (30-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (30-42) - Memphis Redbirds
- Neuse Continues Torrid Hitting, But Aviators Fall to Sacramento - Las Vegas Aviators
- Menez strikes out career-high 12 as River Cats sneak past Aviators - Sacramento River Cats
- Fraley Shines in Triple-A Debut, Rainiers Even Series with El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma Edges Chihuahuas, 6-5 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Top Topes, 5-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.