Omaha Holds off San Antonio 4-3
Storm Chasers first baseman Ryan O'Hearn smashed a go-ahead three-run homer, southpaw Foster Griffin earned his seventh victory and lefty reliever Richard Lovelady notched his third save in Omaha's 4-3 win over the San Antonio Missions on Friday evening at Werner Park.
After San Antonio struck first on C David Freitas ' RBI single, the Storm Chasers evened the contest one frame later courtesy of RF Brett Phillips ' run-scoring knock to right. O'Hearn would then give Omaha its first and only lead by bashing an opposite field three-run shot to left.
The Missions would narrow the deficit to the slimmest of margins with a two-spot in the fifth, however the relief trio of Gabe Speier (1.2 IP, 2 K), Jake Newberry (1.1 IP, 3 H, BB) and Richard Lovelady (1.0 IP, H, 3 K) combined for the final four scoreless frames to keep Omaha out in front.
That triumvirate of relievers supported Griffin (5.0 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 6 K), who earned his team-best seventh victory of the season, while Lovelady notched his third save. Missions starter Bubba Derby (5.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 5 BB, 4 K) suffered the defeat.
Storm Chasers C Xavier Fernandez (2-3, 2B, BB) posted a multi-hit effort, while Freitas (2-5, 2 RBI), CF Cory Spangenberg (2-4, 2B, BB) and 3B Tyler Saladino (2-3, 2 BB) all tallied two knocks. Omaha SS Jecksson Flores did not record a hit in four at-bats, snapping his hit streak at 12 games.
The Storm Chasers and Missions are anticipated to continue their series on Saturday evening, with first pitch scheduled for 7:05pm CT. Omaha's pitcher has not yet been determined, while San Antonio is expected to give the ball to RHP Aaron Wilkerson (6-1, 1.79).
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Omaha Holds off San Antonio 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Two Three-Run Homers Lift Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Memphis Shuts Down Dodgers, 5-0 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Chasers Storm Back to Beat Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Niese Goes Six Shutout, Tacoma Falls to El Paso on Saturday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Blank Dodgers 5-0 - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Snags Rain-Shortened Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Ibanez and Tocci Lead Sounds in Rout - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs Rain on Express Parade in 6-1 Final - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Pound Baby Cakes, 10-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Grizzlies Return Home June 25-28 vs. Las Vegas (Oakland A's) - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes vs. Albuquerque - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (29-44) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (41-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (30-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (30-42) - Memphis Redbirds
- Neuse Continues Torrid Hitting, But Aviators Fall to Sacramento - Las Vegas Aviators
- Menez strikes out career-high 12 as River Cats sneak past Aviators - Sacramento River Cats
- Fraley Shines in Triple-A Debut, Rainiers Even Series with El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma Edges Chihuahuas, 6-5 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Top Topes, 5-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- 3 Chasers Players Named to USA Baseball's Premier12 Roster
- 13 Omaha Alums Chasing World Series Ring
- Mejia, Machado Earn Omaha Player & Pitcher of the Year Honors
- "50 Summers" Selected for 14th Annual Baseball Film Festival at National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
- Chasers, USL Omaha Announce Addition of Ryan Querry as Chief Revenue Officer