Redbirds Blank Dodgers 5-0
MEMPHIS, Tennessee - The Memphis Redbirds (31-44), backed by a quality start by Jake Woodford, blanked the Oklahoma City Dodgers (Dodgers) in the third game of this series Saturday night in Oklahoma City, Okla.
The Redbirds scored in the first inning for the second straight night, this time through a two-out, two-run double by John Nogowski, bringing home Kramer Robertson and Edmundo Sosa, after they led off the game with back-to-back walks. He would later drive in Adolis Garcia, with his second double of the night, in the eighth.
Nogowski extended his season-high hitting streak to eight games and has now collected at least one RBI in eight of his last 10 games.
Those two runs were more than enough for the Redbirds as Woodford dominated on the mound, allowing just two hits in 7.0 innings of work and fanning four. It was the fourth time in his 15 starts that he has not allowed an earned run and the fifth time this season he has completed at least 7.0 innings of work.
Dominic Leone closed out the contest with 2.0 scoreless frames in relief, allowing no hits and striking out four.
The two hits allowed tonight set a season-low for the pitching staff and only five total batters reached base safely for the Dodgers. It was also the Redbirds fourth shut-out victory of the season.
Joe Hudson and Yariel Gonzalez each homered for the second straight night, with solo shots in the fourth and sixth innings respectively.
Rangel Ravelo in his first game back with the Redbirds, after making his Major League debut the St. Louis Cardinals on Monday, went 1-for-4.
Lane Thomas, who had missed eight games while on the Injured List, also went 1-for-4 in his return.
Seven of the nine starters had at least one hit and three had multi-hit performances.
The Redbirds and Oklahoma City continue their five-game series tomorrow night at 6:05. The Redbirds return to AutoZone Park on Tuesday to start a nine-game homestand through July 3.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Tuesday, June 25 at 6:35: Rockey's Yard Sale, with fans able to purchase items in the 3rd Base Cove during the game
Wednesday, June 26 at 6:35: Woof Wednesday presented by Invisible Fence Brand of Memphis with dogs able to come to the stadium along with their parents
Thursday, June 27 at 7:05: Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products featuring the Redbirds suiting up as the Memphis Chicks and throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs; green hat giveaway on Silky O'Sullivan's Irish Heritage Night
Friday, June 28 at 7:05: Wizards & Wands Night featuring a handmade wand specialty ticket at www.memphisredbirds.com/wizardsandwands; All-You-Can-Eat Night specialty ticket presented by Dave & Buster's featuring an all-you-can-eat wings buffet and a free $15 Dave & Buster's Power Card available at www.memphisredbirds.com/allyoucaneat
Saturday, June 29 at 6:35: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game; Yadier Molina and Roberto Clemente Double Bobblehead specialty ticket available at www.memphisredbirds.com/cardinals; Win-a-Rolex Contest presented by Sissy's Log Cabin with fans able to register a guess of the time the game will end to win a $5,400 Rolex watch
Sunday, June 30 at 2:05: Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering); pregame player autographs presented by Allegiant Air; kids run the bases after the game
Monday, July 1 at 6:35: the Redbirds will take the field as the Memphis Música as part of Minor League Baseball's "Copa de la Diversión" series
Tuesday, July 2 at 6:35: "Stranger Wings" Night two days before the season premiere of Stranger Things, with an exclusive "Stranger Wings" t-shirt available with a specialty ticket purchase at www.memphisredbirds.com/strangerwings
Wednesday, July 3 at 6:35: Independence Day Celebration presented by AutoZone with a hamburger/hot dog buffet specialty ticket available at www.memphisredbirds.com/4thofJuly
For more information on the 2019 season, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Omaha Holds off San Antonio 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Two Three-Run Homers Lift Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Memphis Shuts Down Dodgers, 5-0 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Chasers Storm Back to Beat Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Niese Goes Six Shutout, Tacoma Falls to El Paso on Saturday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Blank Dodgers 5-0 - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Snags Rain-Shortened Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Ibanez and Tocci Lead Sounds in Rout - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs Rain on Express Parade in 6-1 Final - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Pound Baby Cakes, 10-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Grizzlies Return Home June 25-28 vs. Las Vegas (Oakland A's) - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes vs. Albuquerque - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (29-44) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (41-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (30-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (30-42) - Memphis Redbirds
- Neuse Continues Torrid Hitting, But Aviators Fall to Sacramento - Las Vegas Aviators
- Menez strikes out career-high 12 as River Cats sneak past Aviators - Sacramento River Cats
- Fraley Shines in Triple-A Debut, Rainiers Even Series with El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma Edges Chihuahuas, 6-5 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Top Topes, 5-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes