Sounds Pound Baby Cakes, 10-3
Andy Ibanez hit a three-run homer to highlight a six-run fifth inning for the Nashville Sounds, who piled up a season-high 17 hits in a 10-3 rout of the New Orleans Baby Cakes on Saturday night.
Ibanez finished a triple shy of the cycle and drove in four runs, while Carlos Tocci reached base five times on two doubles, two singles and a walk. Matt Davidson added three hits and doubled to plate Nashville's first run in the opening frame.
The 'Cakes answered with a run in the bottom of the inning, the seventh consecutive game they have scored in the first. Magneuris Sierra led off with a single and scooted to third on a hit-and-run single by Monte Harrison, then scored on Yangervis Solarte's double play grounder.
Nolan Fontana's home run to lead off the third put the Sounds back in front, and Nashville poured it on against 'Cakes starter Ben Meyer in the fifth. Each of the first six batters of the inning reached, capped by Ibanez's eighth home run of the year, and 11 Sounds eventually came to the plate before the inning was over.
Meyer (3-5) was charged with eight runs on 10 hits in four innings and saw his ERA climb to 7.43, third-highest in the Pacific Coast League among qualified pitchers.
Pedro Payano (1-2) earned his first Triple-A victory of the campaign by working around four walks and limiting the Baby Cakes to two hits in five innings. Payano struck out six.
Eddy Alvarez homered to lead off the ninth, his third homer in eight games with the club, and Tyler Heineman followed with his sixth of the year, the third time this season New Orleans has hit back-to-back home runs. Deven Marrero singled in the sixth inning to extend his hitting streak to 11 games, equaling a career best, and Harrison stretched his streak to seven games.
The five-game series continues on Sunday at 1 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Omaha Holds off San Antonio 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Two Three-Run Homers Lift Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Memphis Shuts Down Dodgers, 5-0 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Chasers Storm Back to Beat Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Niese Goes Six Shutout, Tacoma Falls to El Paso on Saturday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Blank Dodgers 5-0 - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Snags Rain-Shortened Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Ibanez and Tocci Lead Sounds in Rout - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs Rain on Express Parade in 6-1 Final - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Pound Baby Cakes, 10-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Grizzlies Return Home June 25-28 vs. Las Vegas (Oakland A's) - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes vs. Albuquerque - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (29-44) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (41-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (30-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (30-42) - Memphis Redbirds
- Neuse Continues Torrid Hitting, But Aviators Fall to Sacramento - Las Vegas Aviators
- Menez strikes out career-high 12 as River Cats sneak past Aviators - Sacramento River Cats
- Fraley Shines in Triple-A Debut, Rainiers Even Series with El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma Edges Chihuahuas, 6-5 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Top Topes, 5-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.