I-Cubs Rain on Express Parade in 6-1 Final
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Round Rock Express (43-31) took on the Iowa Cubs (42-33) in Saturday night's game three and fell short in a 6-1 contest that was interrupted due to rain at Principal Park. The abbreviated game was postponed with two outs in the top of the sixth inning and called after a 45-minute rain delay.
Express LHP Ryan Hartman (5-2, 5.23) suffered the loss after surrendering six runs on seven hits in a 5.0-inning start. On the winning side, Iowa RHP Craig Brooks (1-0, 9.00) held Round Rock without a hit in a 2.1-inning appearance out of the bullpen.
Round Rock opened scoring just one out into the game as SS Josh Rojas crushed a solo homer.
However, Iowa quickly took a 2-1 lead as SS Dixon Machado worked a leadoff walk that was immediately plated thanks to a Mark Zagunis home run. CF Ian Happ then singled prior to a Robel Garcia walk. LF Trent Giambrone later plated a trio of runs with the second I-Cubs longball of the inning.
In the third, 3B Phillip Evans notched a leadoff base hit and advanced to third on a double off the bat of 1B Jim Adduci. Shortly thereafter, I-Cubs DH Erik Castillo singled home Evans, extending Iowa's lead, and the eventual final score, to 6-1.
Round Rock aims to bounce back in game four on Sunday afternoon. Express RHP Corbin Martin (5-1, 4.74) is is scheduled to start while the I-Cubs plan to counter with RHP Colin Rea (8-1, 3.30). First pitch at Principal Park is set for 1:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 22, 2019
- Omaha Holds off San Antonio 4-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Two Three-Run Homers Lift Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Memphis Shuts Down Dodgers, 5-0 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- 'Chasers Storm Back to Beat Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Niese Goes Six Shutout, Tacoma Falls to El Paso on Saturday - Tacoma Rainiers
- Redbirds Blank Dodgers 5-0 - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Snags Rain-Shortened Victory - Iowa Cubs
- Ibanez and Tocci Lead Sounds in Rout - Nashville Sounds
- I-Cubs Rain on Express Parade in 6-1 Final - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Pound Baby Cakes, 10-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Grizzlies Return Home June 25-28 vs. Las Vegas (Oakland A's) - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes vs. Albuquerque - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - June 22, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (29-44) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (41-33) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (30-44) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (30-42) - Memphis Redbirds
- Neuse Continues Torrid Hitting, But Aviators Fall to Sacramento - Las Vegas Aviators
- Menez strikes out career-high 12 as River Cats sneak past Aviators - Sacramento River Cats
- Fraley Shines in Triple-A Debut, Rainiers Even Series with El Paso - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma Edges Chihuahuas, 6-5 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Top Topes, 5-1 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express Name OF Kyle Tucker Most Valuable Player
- Round Rock Express 2019 Full-Season Game Notes
- Round Rock Express Partners with StellarAlgo
- Round Rock Express INF Abraham Toro, RHP Cristian Javier Named Houston Astros Minor League Players of the Year
- River Cats Top Express 7-5 in Season-Ending Heartbreaker