Mathew Thompson Earns ECHL Rookie of the Month Honors
PRINCETON, N.J. - Indy Fuel forward Mathew Thompson has been named the Howies Hockey Tape ECHL Rookie of the Month for March. Thompson becomes the second player in Fuel history to win the award, joining goaltender Étienne Marcoux who earned the honor in December of 2017.
Thompson, 25, led all Fuel players in scoring with eight goals and 11 assists over 15 games in March, while posting the ECHL's best plus/minus rating over the month with a +13. The forward from Bolton, Ontario found the scoresheet in 13 of his 15 outings in March, and is currently on a seven-game point streak, collecting 13 points (6g, 7a) over the same span. Thompson picked up multiple points on five different occasions over the month, including a pair of three-point outings on March 16 in Reading and March 24 against Cincinnati.
In 62 games this season, the product of Adrian College leads all Fuel rookies in scoring with 48 points (20g, 28a), while posting a +8 rating. Joining Indy at the end of the 2017-18 season, Thompson has recorded 22 goals and 32 assists in 69 total ECHL games.
In four years at Adrian, Thompson recorded 128 points (61g-67a) in 105 career games for the Bulldogs.
In recognition of his accomplishment, Howies Hockey Tape will present Mathew Thompson with a Howies Prize Pack.
The Fuel wrap up their 2018-19 regular season schedule during Fan Appreciation Night this Friday at Indiana Farmers Coliseum, grab your seats by visiting IndyFuelHockey.com or the Indiana Farmers Coliseum box office. Full Season Ticket Plans for the 2019-20 are now on sale, contact the Fuel front office at 317-925-FUEL to learn more. Don't forget to follow the Fuel on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for news, updates, contests and much more throughout the 2018-19 season.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 2, 2019
- Raskob's Late Goal Sends Mavs to Third Straight Victory - Kansas City Mavericks
- Solar Bears Defeat IceMen to Clinch Home Ice in First Round of Playoffs - Orlando Solar Bears
- Mavs Top Oilers with Late Goal - Tulsa Oilers
- Rays, Gildan Make Underwear Donation to One80 Place - South Carolina Stingrays
- Monarchs Sign Nick Kossoff to ATO - Manchester Monarchs
- Somppi Reassigned to AHL by Lightning - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - April 2 - ECHL
- Walleye Add Wings Draft Pick - Toledo Walleye
- Mathew Thompson Earns ECHL Rookie of the Month Honors - Indy Fuel
- Indy's Thompson Named Howies Hockey Tape/ECHL Rookie of the Month - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. IceMen - Orlando Solar Bears
- Jeremy Helvig Named Warrior Hockey ECHL Goaltender of the Month - Florida Everblades
- Grizzlies Fan Appreciation Weekend on April 6th and 7th - Utah Grizzlies
- Florida's Helvig Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Month - ECHL
- Beast to Hold 2019 Brampton Sports Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony Presented by Kotak Personal Injury Law - Brampton Beast
- Newfoundland's Ferguson Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Worcester Railers Host Fan Appreciation Night Presented by MGM Springfield on Saturday at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Kansas City Mavericks Announce 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs Dates - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.