Laxdal Earns 500th Coaching Win in Stars 4-1 Triumph over Charlotte
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Brendan Ranford scored twice and the Texas Stars opened up a four-goal third period to overtake the Charlotte Checkers and finish off a 4-1 win on Saturday night at Time Warner Cable Arena in front of 7,133 in attendance.
It was the 500th career coaching win for Texas head coach Derek Laxdal, who now holds a record of 500-259-74 in the middle of his 13th season as a coach. Gemel Smith also scored his fourth goal in as many games for the Stars. Jussi Rynnas earned his eighth win of the season, stopping 24-of-25 in net.
Texas (14-10-8-0) and Charlotte (11-18-3-1) close out their two-game weekend set on Sunday at 2 p.m. CST.
Charlotte carried a 1-0 lead into the third period with a breakaway goal by Justin Shugg at 15:05 of the second period for his 11th of the year, but it took less than two minutes into the third for Texas to open the flood gates offensively.
Derek Meech set up Ranford's first of night by stickhandling his way around a player and sending a crossing pass to the right circle for a one-timer goal at 1:41 of the frame. Smith then added his fourth of the season at 13:40 from the front of the net as Matej Stransky rolled a centering feed from behind the goal onto the rookie's stick to give the Stars a 2-1 lead. Less than two minutes later, Ranford took matters into his own hands for his second of the game, carrying the puck from the left circle and across the front of the goal before slipping a backhand shot past Checkers' goaltender John Muse for his seventh of the season. Meech and Derek Hulak were credited with the assists on the goal.
Radek Faksa hit an empty-net goal from the center ice circle with 1:55 left in regulation to finalize the 4-1 score.
Muse stopped 30-of-33 shots in the loss for the Checkers. Neither team tallied a power play goal as the Stars finished 0-for-1 and Charlotte, 0-for-2.
Meech finished with a two-assist game for the Stars. Rynnas continued his hot play in net for the Stars, now going 6-0-3 since his last regulation loss on Halloween. The Stars Matt Mangene appeared in his 150th professional game tonight.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2015
- Admirals Stop Dogs, Snap Skid - Milwaukee Admirals
- Leighton Slams Door Shut on Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Grab Two Points Despite Losses to Phantoms - Norfolk Admirals
- Falcons Slip Past Sharks, 4-3, in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Winless Streak Hits Three For Bridgeport - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rockford Spoils Sopel's Night - Chicago Wolves
- Marchessault Nets OT Winner, Blunden Draws - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Top Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms Go Extra-Time to Win....Again - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- B-Sens' Comeback Falls Short, Lose 5-4 in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Szwarz Nets SO Goal, McKenna Shuts out Bruins - Portland Pirates
- Sharks Stumble Late in 4-3 Shootout Loss in Springfield - Worcester Sharks
- Barons Win 7th Straight, 5-2 over Lake Erie - Oklahoma City Barons
- Checkers' Skid Continues with 4-1 Trouncing by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in 4-0 Loss to Flames - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall in Shootout to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Edged 2-1 by the Wild - Utica Comets
- Wolf Pack beaten by IceCaps - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to OKC 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- The P-Bruins Fall to Portland Pirates 1-0 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Albany Devils Erupt for Road Win - Albany Devils
- Laxdal Earns 500th Coaching Win in Stars 4-1 Triumph over Charlotte - Texas Stars
- IceCaps Whip Wolf Pack 7-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Penguins in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Wild Takes Down North Division Leading Utica 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Notch 4-3 Overtime Win over Marlies - San Antonio Rampage
- Dallas Reassigns Jokipakka, Honka - Texas Stars
- Marlies Fall in Overtime 4-3 to Rampage - Toronto Marlies
- Monarchs Recall Kitsyn from Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Canucks Assign Tom Sestito to Comets - Utica Comets
- IceCaps Re-Sign Defenceman Parent to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.