IceCaps Whip Wolf Pack 7-3
Scott Kosmachuk and Jason Jaffray each netted a pair of goals as the St. John's IceCaps crushed the Hartford Wolf Pack 7-3 Saturday night at the XL Center in Hartford, CT.
John Albert with a goal and an assist, Yann Sauvé with his first as an IceCap, and Carl Klingberg also scored for the St. John's who sniped three first-period powerplay goals. Will O'Neill collected three assists in the victory.
Sauvé opened scoring with a slapper from just outside the right face-off circle on the powerplay at 5:54 of the first period. O'Neill and Balisy had the assists. Kosmachuk made it 2-0 when he converted a nifty behind-the-net pass from Eric O'Dell in the slot at 8:16, with a man advantage. Klingberg rounded out first-period scoring at 14:52 when he tipped Will O'Neill's wrister from the blueline on an IceCaps powerplay.
Kosmachuk's second came on an unassisted breakaway at 2:33 of the second period after he picked off an errant Wolf Pack pass. Albert made it 5-0 IceCaps at 9:41 when he deposited a rebound past Hartford goalie MacKenzie Skapski who was then pulled from the Wolf Pack net in favour of Jason Missiaen. O'Neill and Jaffray collected assists.
Hartford finally responded at 11:55 of the second when Ryan Malone was left alone in a goal-mouth scramble and slipped one past Connor Hellebuyck in the IceCaps cage. Jaffray made it 6-1 IceCaps when he tipped Ryan Parent's point shot at 12:19 of the second. Albert had the other assist. Hartford got their second of the night on a pretty tic-tac-toe powerplay marker by Chris Mueller at 14:59 of the middle frame and made it 6-3 at 17:25 of third when Chris Bourque was left alone in the slot.
Jaffray closed out scoring with this second of the night into an empty net at 18:20. Kris Fredheim picked up the lone assist.
The IceCaps return home to host the Manchester Monarchs Tuesday night at Mile One Centre (7:30 p.m. NST). Catch all the action with broadcaster Brian Rogers at www.stjohnsicecaps.com, 930AM and www.ahllive.com. Pregame show begins at 8:00. Tickets are available at the Mile One Centre Box Office, by phone at (709) 576-7657 and online at www.mileonecentre.com.
Notes: Not dressed: Keaton Ellerby, Brenden Kichton, Brandon MacLean, Ben Walker, Ralfs Freibergs, Patrick Holland, Mike Cornell... St. John's was outshot 42-32... The IceCaps went 3-for-6 on the power play while killing off three of four penalties... Molson Canadian Three Stars: 1. O'Neill 2. Kosmachuk 3. Albert... Hardest Working Player: Klingberg.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2015
- Admirals Stop Dogs, Snap Skid - Milwaukee Admirals
- Leighton Slams Door Shut on Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Grab Two Points Despite Losses to Phantoms - Norfolk Admirals
- Falcons Slip Past Sharks, 4-3, in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Winless Streak Hits Three For Bridgeport - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rockford Spoils Sopel's Night - Chicago Wolves
- Marchessault Nets OT Winner, Blunden Draws - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Top Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms Go Extra-Time to Win....Again - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- B-Sens' Comeback Falls Short, Lose 5-4 in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Szwarz Nets SO Goal, McKenna Shuts out Bruins - Portland Pirates
- Sharks Stumble Late in 4-3 Shootout Loss in Springfield - Worcester Sharks
- Barons Win 7th Straight, 5-2 over Lake Erie - Oklahoma City Barons
- Checkers' Skid Continues with 4-1 Trouncing by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in 4-0 Loss to Flames - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall in Shootout to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Edged 2-1 by the Wild - Utica Comets
- Wolf Pack beaten by IceCaps - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to OKC 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- The P-Bruins Fall to Portland Pirates 1-0 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Albany Devils Erupt for Road Win - Albany Devils
- Laxdal Earns 500th Coaching Win in Stars 4-1 Triumph over Charlotte - Texas Stars
- IceCaps Whip Wolf Pack 7-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Penguins in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Wild Takes Down North Division Leading Utica 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Notch 4-3 Overtime Win over Marlies - San Antonio Rampage
- Dallas Reassigns Jokipakka, Honka - Texas Stars
- Marlies Fall in Overtime 4-3 to Rampage - Toronto Marlies
- Monarchs Recall Kitsyn from Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Canucks Assign Tom Sestito to Comets - Utica Comets
- IceCaps Re-Sign Defenceman Parent to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.