Barons Win 7th Straight, 5-2 over Lake Erie
CLEVELAND - Matt Ford had two goals and an assist and Richard Bachman won his first game in net since Dec. 16 as the Oklahoma City Barons completed a two-game sweep of the Lake Erie Monsters with a 5-2 victory Saturday night at Quicken Loans Arena. The win was Oklahoma City's seventh straight and ninth in its last 10 games.
Ford's two-goal game was his second of the year, coming exactly three weeks from his last two-goal performance in the Barons' 3-2 win over Grand Rapids on Dec. 13.
On the Barons' first score of the game at 4:14 of the first period, Ford set up Jason Williams with a pass from behind the goal line that Williams was able to knock past Lake Erie goalie Calvin Pickard from right in front of the Monsters net.
With the Barons on the power play at 12:32 of the first, it was Williams setting up Ford with a pass through the slot that Ford was able to chip into the open side of the Monsters net for an early 2-0 Oklahoma City lead.
Ford's second goal came just 1:19 into the third period when he sent a long shot from just inside the Monsters blue line that Calvin Pickard couldn't corral for the Barons' fifth goal of the night.
Richard Bachman stopped 33 shots in his first action since leaving with an injury in the third period of the Barons' Dec. 16 win at Charlotte.
After the Barons' first two goals by Williams and Ford, Bogdan Yakimov extended Oklahoma City's lead to 3-0 at 4:07 of the second period when he tipped a long shot by Iiro Pakarinen, redirecting the puck over Pickard's glove-side shoulder.
Like Ford and Williams a period earlier, Pakarinen and Yakimov traded roles in scoring the Barons' fourth goal of the game. At 13:09 of the second, Yakimov sent a pass from the right boards that found Pakarinen in the Lake Erie slot where Pakarinen fired a wrist shot that sailed past Pickard, making the score 4-0 in favor of Oklahoma City.
At 19:30 of the second, Lake Erie's Trevor Cheek scored his second goal in as many games when he carried the puck into the Barons zone and deked around a defending Curtis Hamilton before firing a shot past Bachman to cut Oklahoma City's lead to 4-1.
After Ford's second goal of the game gave the Barons a 5-1 lead in the third period, Mitchell Heard added a goal at 17:14 of the third that made the score 5-2.
With the win, the Barons improved to 23-7-2-2 on the season and took sole possession of first place in the AHL's Western Conference with 50 standings points.
The Barons' next game is Tuesday, Jan. 6, when they return home to face the Texas Stars in a 7 p.m. start at the Cox Convention Center.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2015
- Admirals Stop Dogs, Snap Skid - Milwaukee Admirals
- Leighton Slams Door Shut on Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Grab Two Points Despite Losses to Phantoms - Norfolk Admirals
- Falcons Slip Past Sharks, 4-3, in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Winless Streak Hits Three For Bridgeport - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rockford Spoils Sopel's Night - Chicago Wolves
- Marchessault Nets OT Winner, Blunden Draws - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Top Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms Go Extra-Time to Win....Again - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- B-Sens' Comeback Falls Short, Lose 5-4 in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Szwarz Nets SO Goal, McKenna Shuts out Bruins - Portland Pirates
- Sharks Stumble Late in 4-3 Shootout Loss in Springfield - Worcester Sharks
- Barons Win 7th Straight, 5-2 over Lake Erie - Oklahoma City Barons
- Checkers' Skid Continues with 4-1 Trouncing by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in 4-0 Loss to Flames - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall in Shootout to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Edged 2-1 by the Wild - Utica Comets
- Wolf Pack beaten by IceCaps - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to OKC 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- The P-Bruins Fall to Portland Pirates 1-0 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Albany Devils Erupt for Road Win - Albany Devils
- Laxdal Earns 500th Coaching Win in Stars 4-1 Triumph over Charlotte - Texas Stars
- IceCaps Whip Wolf Pack 7-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Penguins in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Wild Takes Down North Division Leading Utica 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Notch 4-3 Overtime Win over Marlies - San Antonio Rampage
- Dallas Reassigns Jokipakka, Honka - Texas Stars
- Marlies Fall in Overtime 4-3 to Rampage - Toronto Marlies
- Monarchs Recall Kitsyn from Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Canucks Assign Tom Sestito to Comets - Utica Comets
- IceCaps Re-Sign Defenceman Parent to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Barons Stories
- Energy FC Hosts Second Sidekicks Event on Wednesday Evening
- Chris Spendlove Cleared
- Energy FC and The Grid Meet to Discuss Continued Growth of Soccer in OKC
- Energy FC Sidekicks Program with Special Olympics and TOPSoccer Kicks off July 15
- Barons Season Ends with 1-0 Loss