Penguins Fall in Shootout to Bears
HERSHEY, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins saw their streak of three straight wins come to an end as the Hershey Bears were able to claim a 2-1 shootout victory on Saturday at GIANT Center.
The first period ended in a scoreless deadlock despite Wilkes-Barre/Scranton owning a 12-4 shot advantage to go along with 1:25 on a 5-on-3 advantage.
Hershey came out with the early energy in the second and went ahead, 1-0, at 5:10 as Erik Bergdoerfer floated a shot from the blueline that sailed through a screen and past Penguins goalie Jeff Zatkoff. The tally ended Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's shutout streak at 167:24, that stretched over four games, dating back to Dec. 27, 2014 versus the Norfolk Admirals.
Matia Marcantuoni helped the Penguins answer four minutes later with his second goal in as many games. Nick D'Agostino had his point shot deflect up in the air and drop down between hashmarks, where Marcantuoni was gathered the bouncing puck and beat Hershey netminder Pheonix Copley over the right shoulder.
The 1-1 score carried into the third, where the Bears continued to build momentum, outshooting the Penguins by an 11-4 margin. Zatkoff was able to keep the slate clean in the period to help send the game into overtime.
The game-winning goal would not materialize in the extra session or over four rounds of the ensuing shootout. In the fifth frame, Philippe Cornet fired a wrist shot over the glove of Zatkoff before Copley got a pad Tom Kotstopoulos' bid to extend the shootout.
Zatkoff's record falls to 11-6-2 despite stopping 28-of-29 through overtime and 4-of-5 Bears shooters. Copley made 25 saves on 26 shots and was perfect over the five rounds of the shootout.
The Penguins return home to battle the Norfolk Admirals in a two-game set, Tuesday, Jan. 6 and Friday, Jan. 9. Puck drop for both contests is 7:05 p.m.
Individual tickets for all Penguins home games are available at the Mohegan Sun Arena Box Office, online at TicketMaster.com, or by calling 800-745-3000.
Penguins season tickets, including full season, 22-game, 12-game and 10-ticket flex vouchers, are available directly through the Penguins ticket offices at 570-208-7367.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2015
- Admirals Stop Dogs, Snap Skid - Milwaukee Admirals
- Leighton Slams Door Shut on Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Grab Two Points Despite Losses to Phantoms - Norfolk Admirals
- Falcons Slip Past Sharks, 4-3, in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Winless Streak Hits Three For Bridgeport - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rockford Spoils Sopel's Night - Chicago Wolves
- Marchessault Nets OT Winner, Blunden Draws - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Top Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms Go Extra-Time to Win....Again - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- B-Sens' Comeback Falls Short, Lose 5-4 in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Szwarz Nets SO Goal, McKenna Shuts out Bruins - Portland Pirates
- Sharks Stumble Late in 4-3 Shootout Loss in Springfield - Worcester Sharks
- Barons Win 7th Straight, 5-2 over Lake Erie - Oklahoma City Barons
- Checkers' Skid Continues with 4-1 Trouncing by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in 4-0 Loss to Flames - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall in Shootout to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Edged 2-1 by the Wild - Utica Comets
- Wolf Pack beaten by IceCaps - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to OKC 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- The P-Bruins Fall to Portland Pirates 1-0 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Albany Devils Erupt for Road Win - Albany Devils
- Laxdal Earns 500th Coaching Win in Stars 4-1 Triumph over Charlotte - Texas Stars
- IceCaps Whip Wolf Pack 7-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Penguins in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Wild Takes Down North Division Leading Utica 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Notch 4-3 Overtime Win over Marlies - San Antonio Rampage
- Dallas Reassigns Jokipakka, Honka - Texas Stars
- Marlies Fall in Overtime 4-3 to Rampage - Toronto Marlies
- Monarchs Recall Kitsyn from Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Canucks Assign Tom Sestito to Comets - Utica Comets
- IceCaps Re-Sign Defenceman Parent to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Sign Goaltender Shane Starrett
- Forrest Named Head Coach, Karmanos Named GM of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Mike Vellucci, Todd Reirden Hired as Assistant Coaches by Pittsburgh
- Penguins Sign Felix Robert and Luke Stevens
- Pittsburgh's Postseason Roster Features 19 Alumni of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton