Albany Devils Erupt for Road Win
BRIDGEPORT, CT -- Five Albany Devils registered multiple-point games, helping the team to a 7-4 victory against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers Saturday at Webster Bank Arena. Joe Whitney and Reid Boucher led the way with three points each. Corbin McPherson, Paul Thompson and David Wohlberg had two points apiece.
The Devils seven-goal outburst tied a season high, which was last achieved during a 7-3 win on the road against the Hartford Wolf Pack.
Whitney, who was returned by New Jersey Friday, had a goal and two assists and Boucher had three helpers. McPherson, Thompson and Wohlberg each produced a goal and an assist. Graham Black, Chris McKelvie and Ben Thomson also scored.
In his first start of the season, Maxime Clermont made 28 saves for his second career victory, lifting the Devils to a 15-11-2-5 record.
For Bridgeport, Harry Zolnierczyk, Griffin Reinhart, Kael Mouillierat and Alan Quine all found the back of the ned. Cory Conacher had a pair of assists. Netminder David Leggio made 23 stops as the Sound Tigers moved to 15-14-3-1.
The teams exchanged goals in the first period: Thompson scored at 4:43 and Zolnierczyk answered at 18:27.
In the second, Wohlberg and Reinhart scored at 2:22 and 3:47 to make it a 2-2 games.
Albany netted the next three goals, including two on the power play to close the run. Thomson scored at 6:27 and Whitney followed at 13:28. Black made it a 5-2 score at 17:19.
Before the end of the period, Bridgeport scored twice thanks to Mouillierat at 18:11 and Quine at 19:58.
McKelvie and McPherson concluded the scoring with goals at 11:10 and 16:17.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2015
- Admirals Stop Dogs, Snap Skid - Milwaukee Admirals
- Leighton Slams Door Shut on Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Grab Two Points Despite Losses to Phantoms - Norfolk Admirals
- Falcons Slip Past Sharks, 4-3, in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Winless Streak Hits Three For Bridgeport - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rockford Spoils Sopel's Night - Chicago Wolves
- Marchessault Nets OT Winner, Blunden Draws - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Top Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms Go Extra-Time to Win....Again - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- B-Sens' Comeback Falls Short, Lose 5-4 in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Szwarz Nets SO Goal, McKenna Shuts out Bruins - Portland Pirates
- Sharks Stumble Late in 4-3 Shootout Loss in Springfield - Worcester Sharks
- Barons Win 7th Straight, 5-2 over Lake Erie - Oklahoma City Barons
- Checkers' Skid Continues with 4-1 Trouncing by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in 4-0 Loss to Flames - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall in Shootout to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Edged 2-1 by the Wild - Utica Comets
- Wolf Pack beaten by IceCaps - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to OKC 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- The P-Bruins Fall to Portland Pirates 1-0 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Albany Devils Erupt for Road Win - Albany Devils
- Laxdal Earns 500th Coaching Win in Stars 4-1 Triumph over Charlotte - Texas Stars
- IceCaps Whip Wolf Pack 7-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Penguins in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Wild Takes Down North Division Leading Utica 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Notch 4-3 Overtime Win over Marlies - San Antonio Rampage
- Dallas Reassigns Jokipakka, Honka - Texas Stars
- Marlies Fall in Overtime 4-3 to Rampage - Toronto Marlies
- Monarchs Recall Kitsyn from Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Canucks Assign Tom Sestito to Comets - Utica Comets
- IceCaps Re-Sign Defenceman Parent to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.