Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in 4-0 Loss to Flames
(Glens Falls, NY)... Sven Baertschi's breakaway goal at 9:47 of the first period proved to be the winner as the Rochester Americans fell to the Adirondack Flames 4-0 Saturday night at the Glens Falls Civic Center in their first road matchup since Dec. 12. The loss comes one night after the Amerks shutout the Iowa Wild by a 3-0 score Friday at The Blue Cross Arena and drops Rochester's overall record to 14-20-1-0 on the season.
Baertschi recorded two goals, with Ken Agostino (1+1) and Garnet Hathaway (0+2) also recording two points for the hometown Flames. Corban Knight rounded out the scoring for Adirondack for his lone point of the night with an empty-netter in the closing minutes of regulation. Emile Poirier, Ryan Culkin and Bill Arnold each notched an assist while Brad Thiessen stopped all 21 shots he faced to record his first shutout of the season.
Rochester goalie Pat Nagle stopped 39 of Adirondack's 42 shots in his first appearance with the Amerks since joining the club earlier in the week and veteran forward Zac Dalpe finished with a team-high four shots in the loss.
Both teams started out slow, registering a total of seven shots between the two in the first five minutes of play. Following a successful penalty kill, the Flames gained some momentum culminating in Baertschi's first goal of the night. Baertschi found the puck in the neutral zone, broke away from the Amerks defense and buried a snap shot past Nagle at 9:47 of the first period to give the hosts a 1-0 lead. The Amerks applied some pressure late in the period, but were unable to capitalize on their chances.
The second period saw the Amerks get a power-play opportunity just 44 seconds in on a John Ramage holding call. Once again, the Flames were able to kill off the penalty, but Rochester's best chance of the game came shortly after the man-advantage off the stick of Jordan Samuels-Thomas. The rookie forward took a centering feed from Matt Ellis after Ellis made a great play to find Samuels-Thomas at the top of the crease, but Thiessen was able to make the save for one of his 11 stops of the middle frame.
Adirondack upped its lead to a pair shortly after the Samuels-Thomas chance, as Hathaway moved the puck in the left corner to Agostino, who found Knight waiting in the slot for the tap-in past Nagle at 10:24 of the second.
The Flames salted the game away late in the third when Agostino recorded his second point of the night with Nagle on the bench, depositing the puck into the empty net from just above the blueline to make it 3-0 at 17:31 of the third.
The Flames struck again when Arnold sent Poirier and Baertschi on a 2-on-1 fastbreak that ended with Baertschi beating Nagle inside the left post for his second of the night and a 4-0 lead at 19:10 of the third.
The Amerks return home on Wednesday, Jan. 7 as they host the San Antonio Rampage at The Blue Cross Arena. The 7:05 p.m. game will be the first of three straight at home for Rochester and can be heard live on FOX Sports 1280 Rochester.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2015
- Admirals Stop Dogs, Snap Skid - Milwaukee Admirals
- Leighton Slams Door Shut on Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Grab Two Points Despite Losses to Phantoms - Norfolk Admirals
- Falcons Slip Past Sharks, 4-3, in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Winless Streak Hits Three For Bridgeport - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rockford Spoils Sopel's Night - Chicago Wolves
- Marchessault Nets OT Winner, Blunden Draws - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Top Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms Go Extra-Time to Win....Again - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- B-Sens' Comeback Falls Short, Lose 5-4 in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Szwarz Nets SO Goal, McKenna Shuts out Bruins - Portland Pirates
- Sharks Stumble Late in 4-3 Shootout Loss in Springfield - Worcester Sharks
- Barons Win 7th Straight, 5-2 over Lake Erie - Oklahoma City Barons
- Checkers' Skid Continues with 4-1 Trouncing by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in 4-0 Loss to Flames - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall in Shootout to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Edged 2-1 by the Wild - Utica Comets
- Wolf Pack beaten by IceCaps - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to OKC 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- The P-Bruins Fall to Portland Pirates 1-0 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Albany Devils Erupt for Road Win - Albany Devils
- Laxdal Earns 500th Coaching Win in Stars 4-1 Triumph over Charlotte - Texas Stars
- IceCaps Whip Wolf Pack 7-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Penguins in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Wild Takes Down North Division Leading Utica 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Notch 4-3 Overtime Win over Marlies - San Antonio Rampage
- Dallas Reassigns Jokipakka, Honka - Texas Stars
- Marlies Fall in Overtime 4-3 to Rampage - Toronto Marlies
- Monarchs Recall Kitsyn from Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Canucks Assign Tom Sestito to Comets - Utica Comets
- IceCaps Re-Sign Defenceman Parent to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.