Leighton Slams Door Shut on Wolves
Rockford, Ill. - Goaltender Michael Leighton began 2015 right where he left off as he shut down the Chicago Wolves, helping the Rockford IceHogs to a 3-0 victory at Allstate Arena on Saturday.
Leighton was a catalyst in Rockford's last win and last contest of 2014 on Wednesday in Grand Rapids. Against the Wolves on Saturday night, the netminder turned away all 31 shots faced to earn his third shutout of the season and 39th during his AHL career. The feat has Leighton sitting in third in AHL history behind Gil Mayer (41) and Johnny Bower (45).
Rockford's offense also opened the new year where it finished 2014 - firing lots of rubber at the opposition. Despite outshooting the Wolves 17-7 in the opening frame the game was scoreless until Mark McNeill put the IceHogs up 1-0 early in the second. Just 36 seconds into the middle period, Adam Clendening and Peter Regin traded passes before McNeill took the puck from his own zone, raced into Chicago's end, and fired his 11th of the season past Matt Climie.
Statistically the Wolves have been the AHL's best team in the second period, with a plus-16 goal differential going into the contest, but the IceHogs upped the ante to 2-0 just before the period was done. Climie blocked a Phillip Danault shot but defenseman Klas Dahlbeck joined the play and put home the rebound with 1:40 left in the stanza. The Hogs have now outscored the Wolves 5-0 in the middle frame over their past two meetings.
The script was flipped in the third period with Chicago opening the frame with an 11-0 shot advantage through the first 10 minutes as they tried to mount a comeback. Leighton was up to the task however, stopping all 18 Chicago shots in the final 20 minutes to seal the win for Rockford.
Garrett Ross added an empty-net tally with 1:15 left in his return to the lineup after missing the past six games due to injury.
Climie was saddled with a loss for Chicago despite a solid performance, stopping 35 of the 37 attempts he faced.
Next Home Game: Friday, January 9 vs. Milwaukee Admirals. Game begins at 7 p.m. Rockford begins their 2015 home slate with a Midwest Division rivalry game against the Milwaukee Admirals at the BMO. The first 2,500 fans through the gates will take home an IceHogs fleece blanket thanks to OSF. Those 21-and-over can arrive early for another Blues Flame Lounge Pre-Game Party, and enjoy live music, drink specials and free appetizers. Doors open at 5:15 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2015
- Admirals Stop Dogs, Snap Skid - Milwaukee Admirals
- Leighton Slams Door Shut on Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Grab Two Points Despite Losses to Phantoms - Norfolk Admirals
- Falcons Slip Past Sharks, 4-3, in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Winless Streak Hits Three For Bridgeport - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rockford Spoils Sopel's Night - Chicago Wolves
- Marchessault Nets OT Winner, Blunden Draws - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Top Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms Go Extra-Time to Win....Again - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- B-Sens' Comeback Falls Short, Lose 5-4 in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Szwarz Nets SO Goal, McKenna Shuts out Bruins - Portland Pirates
- Sharks Stumble Late in 4-3 Shootout Loss in Springfield - Worcester Sharks
- Barons Win 7th Straight, 5-2 over Lake Erie - Oklahoma City Barons
- Checkers' Skid Continues with 4-1 Trouncing by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in 4-0 Loss to Flames - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall in Shootout to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Edged 2-1 by the Wild - Utica Comets
- Wolf Pack beaten by IceCaps - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to OKC 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- The P-Bruins Fall to Portland Pirates 1-0 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Albany Devils Erupt for Road Win - Albany Devils
- Laxdal Earns 500th Coaching Win in Stars 4-1 Triumph over Charlotte - Texas Stars
- IceCaps Whip Wolf Pack 7-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Penguins in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Wild Takes Down North Division Leading Utica 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Notch 4-3 Overtime Win over Marlies - San Antonio Rampage
- Dallas Reassigns Jokipakka, Honka - Texas Stars
- Marlies Fall in Overtime 4-3 to Rampage - Toronto Marlies
- Monarchs Recall Kitsyn from Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Canucks Assign Tom Sestito to Comets - Utica Comets
- IceCaps Re-Sign Defenceman Parent to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- IceHogs Sign Hobey Baker Finalist and Two-Time Big-10 Champion Cale Morris for 2020-21 Season
- IceHogs Defenseman of the Year Cody Franson Returns to Club for Upcoming Season
- Stateline Teachers, Today Is the Last Day to Enter to Win $100 with the IceHogs and BMO Harris Bank
- Former IceHogs Johns and Rutta Collide in 2020 Stanley Cup Final
- Stateline Teachers: Win $100 with the IceHogs and BMO Harris Bank =F0=9F=8D=8E