Bears Battle Past Penguins in Shootout
HERSHEY, Pa. - Pheonix Copley made 25 saves in regulation and overtime and made all five saves in his first career shootout, helping the Hershey Bears to a 2-1 victory over the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Saturday night in front of a sellout crowd of 10,882 fans at GIANT Center.
After a scoreless first period, the Bears got the jump early in the second. Kris Newbury would work the puck up high to Erik Burgdoerfer, who took a wrist shot from the left point. The shot sailed past a Philippe Cornet screen and past Jeff Zatkoff at 5:10 for a 1-0 advantage.
The Penguins battled back and tied the game when an open Matia Marcantuoni watched a puck bounce off of the side glass right to him in the slot. He took a snap shot that beat Copley at 9:06.
That would be all the scoring to be had through regulation and overtime. The overtime period featured two three-on-three situations, as penalties to Stanslav Galiev and Tom Kostopoulos carried into the extra session.
Cornet, returning after sitting last three games out, was the hero in the shootout as the winger was the only one to beat Zatkoff. In the last of the fifth round, his snap shot flew past the glove of the Penguins goaltender, and Copley followed that up with a right pad save on Kostopoulos to nab the win.
Copley improves to 6-3-1 with the win, while Zatkoff drops to 11-6-2, making 28 saves in regulation and overtime and four in the shootout.
The Bears will travel to New York's Capital District for the first time this season, and will battle the Albany Devils on Friday, January 9. Faceoff from Times Union Center is set for 7:00 PM. Fans may listen to the M&C Foreign Car Parts pre-game show beginning at 6:20 PM on the Bears Radio Network of affiliates WQIC-FM 100.1, WTKT-AM 1460, WOYK-AM 1350 and the iHeart Radio application for smartphones (1460 AM).
The Bears return home to host the Norfolk Admirals on Saturday, January 10 at 7:00 PM. The first 5,000 fans will get a Nathan Walker snow globe courtesy of Metro Bank. Individual tickets for this and all remaining home games are available at the GIANT Center box office, online at TicketMaster.com or by calling 717-508-BEAR.
NOTES: The Bears scratched C Joel Broda, D Michal Cajkovsky, G Philipp Grubauer, D Mike Moore, C Jim O'Brien, LW Tim Spencer, LW Nathan Walker and D Patrick Wey...The Penguins scratched RW Patrick McGrath, C Adam Payerl, D Clark Seymour, C Zack Torquato and LW Anton Zlobin...The Bears finished the night 0-for-4 on the power play and 4-for-4 on the penalty kill... Three stars: 3-Zatkoff, 2-Burgdoerfer, 1-Copley...Hershey scored their league-leading 23rd first-goal on Burgdoerfer's tally...The Bears improved to 5-2-2-0 against Wilkes-Barre/Scranton this season, winning their third 2-1 decision against their arch-rivals.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2015
- Admirals Stop Dogs, Snap Skid - Milwaukee Admirals
- Leighton Slams Door Shut on Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Grab Two Points Despite Losses to Phantoms - Norfolk Admirals
- Falcons Slip Past Sharks, 4-3, in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Winless Streak Hits Three For Bridgeport - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rockford Spoils Sopel's Night - Chicago Wolves
- Marchessault Nets OT Winner, Blunden Draws - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Top Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms Go Extra-Time to Win....Again - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- B-Sens' Comeback Falls Short, Lose 5-4 in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Szwarz Nets SO Goal, McKenna Shuts out Bruins - Portland Pirates
- Sharks Stumble Late in 4-3 Shootout Loss in Springfield - Worcester Sharks
- Barons Win 7th Straight, 5-2 over Lake Erie - Oklahoma City Barons
- Checkers' Skid Continues with 4-1 Trouncing by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in 4-0 Loss to Flames - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall in Shootout to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Edged 2-1 by the Wild - Utica Comets
- Wolf Pack beaten by IceCaps - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to OKC 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- The P-Bruins Fall to Portland Pirates 1-0 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Albany Devils Erupt for Road Win - Albany Devils
- Laxdal Earns 500th Coaching Win in Stars 4-1 Triumph over Charlotte - Texas Stars
- IceCaps Whip Wolf Pack 7-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Penguins in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Wild Takes Down North Division Leading Utica 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Notch 4-3 Overtime Win over Marlies - San Antonio Rampage
- Dallas Reassigns Jokipakka, Honka - Texas Stars
- Marlies Fall in Overtime 4-3 to Rampage - Toronto Marlies
- Monarchs Recall Kitsyn from Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Canucks Assign Tom Sestito to Comets - Utica Comets
- IceCaps Re-Sign Defenceman Parent to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.