Sharks Stumble Late in 4-3 Shootout Loss in Springfield
Springfield, MA - The Worcester Sharks (13-14-3-2, 31pts) coughed up a two goal third period lead and eventually lost in the shootout by a 4-3 score to the Springfield Falcons (23-10-2-0, 48pts) in front of 3,592 fans at the Mass Mutual Center on Saturday evening.
Worcester charged out to a 3-1 lead through two periods after goals by Bryan Lerg, Chris Tierney, and Evan Trupp before the Falcons scored twice in the third to force overtime. JP Anderson made 40 saves in net but the Sharks lost for the first time this season (8-0-0-1) when leading after 40 minutes of play. Marco Dano, Jaime Sifers, and TJ Tynan scored for Springfield while Kirby Rychel scored the only goal in the shootout for the Springfield victory.
It was a goaltenders duel for a good part of the first period as JP Anderson and Oscar Dansk each made some nice saves to keep the game scoreless in the first 18 minutes. But it was a miscue by rookie goalie Oscar Dansk behind his own net that led to Ryan Carpenter finding a wide open Bryan Lerg (4th) in the crease for an easy score with 99 seconds remaining in the period for the only score through 20 minutes. Springfield outshot Worcester 13-10 in the first period.
The Sharks would build on their lead with a power play strike at 3:39 as rookie Chris Tierney (2nd) fired a wicked shot from 12 feet away off the iron and into the net past the Falcons netminder. Springfield would get back within a goal after JP Anderson made a terrific initial save but Marco Dano (7th) banged home a loose rebound from the crease at 8:35. Worcester would score their second power play goal of the period after a centering pass from Evan Trupp (8th) deflected off a Falcons defender and into the net at 12:53. JP Anderson made 11 more saves in the second period as Worcester took a 3-1 advantage into the second intermission.
Springfield outshot Worcester 14-4 in the third period and tied the score at 3-3. Jaime Sifers (2nd) sent a one timer past JP Anderson from the right circle after a great cross ice pass by TJ Tynan at 3:17. With Oscar Dansk off for the extra attacker TJ Tynan (4th) scored with 1:29 remaining in the third period to force overtime.
Worcester was outshot 4-0 in overtime as neither team could find the back of the net. Kirby Rychel scored the only shootout goal as Bryan Lerg, Daniil Tarasov, and Chris Tierney were all stopped for Worcester as the Falcons pulled out the 4-3 home victory.
The Sharks overall record falls to 13-14-3-2, 31pts, and 5-8-1-1, 12pts on the road this season.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2015
- Admirals Stop Dogs, Snap Skid - Milwaukee Admirals
- Leighton Slams Door Shut on Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Grab Two Points Despite Losses to Phantoms - Norfolk Admirals
- Falcons Slip Past Sharks, 4-3, in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Winless Streak Hits Three For Bridgeport - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rockford Spoils Sopel's Night - Chicago Wolves
- Marchessault Nets OT Winner, Blunden Draws - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Top Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms Go Extra-Time to Win....Again - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- B-Sens' Comeback Falls Short, Lose 5-4 in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Szwarz Nets SO Goal, McKenna Shuts out Bruins - Portland Pirates
- Sharks Stumble Late in 4-3 Shootout Loss in Springfield - Worcester Sharks
- Barons Win 7th Straight, 5-2 over Lake Erie - Oklahoma City Barons
- Checkers' Skid Continues with 4-1 Trouncing by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in 4-0 Loss to Flames - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall in Shootout to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Edged 2-1 by the Wild - Utica Comets
- Wolf Pack beaten by IceCaps - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to OKC 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- The P-Bruins Fall to Portland Pirates 1-0 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Albany Devils Erupt for Road Win - Albany Devils
- Laxdal Earns 500th Coaching Win in Stars 4-1 Triumph over Charlotte - Texas Stars
- IceCaps Whip Wolf Pack 7-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Penguins in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Wild Takes Down North Division Leading Utica 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Notch 4-3 Overtime Win over Marlies - San Antonio Rampage
- Dallas Reassigns Jokipakka, Honka - Texas Stars
- Marlies Fall in Overtime 4-3 to Rampage - Toronto Marlies
- Monarchs Recall Kitsyn from Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Canucks Assign Tom Sestito to Comets - Utica Comets
- IceCaps Re-Sign Defenceman Parent to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.