Falcons Slip Past Sharks, 4-3, in Shootout
Springfield, Mass. - The Springfield Falcons slipped past the Worcester Sharks, 4-3, tonight in a shootout at the MassMutual Center.
Kerby Rychel netted the game winning goal in the second round to keep the Falcons undefeated in three shootouts they've seen this season. This is also the fifth time in the last six games the Falcons have required extra time.
The victory advances the team to 23-10-2-0 and keeps them on top of the Northeast Division with 48 points. The Falcons also take a 3-1-0-0 lead in the six-game season series against the Sharks, who fall to 13-14-3-2.
Falcons goaltender Oscar Dansk picked up the win, stopping 24 of 27 shots and three shootout attempts. Sharks goaltender J.P. Anderson turned away 40 of 43, while allowing one goal on two shootout attempts. Springfield was unable to convert on five power plays, but were successful in shutting down three of five Worcester man-advantages.
The Sharks opened scoring with 1:31 remaining in the first period. Dansk went behind the net to stop the puck. While he was caught out of position, the Sharks forced a turnover and took a 1-0 lead as Bryan Lerg threw the puck into an empty net. Ryan Carpenter and Freddie Hamilton received credit for the assists.
The Sharks extended their lead in the second period before getting a response from the Falcons. Just 3:39 in, Chris Tierney fired a wrist shot from the bottom of the right circle that rung off the post and into the net for a power-play goal. Hamilton picked up his second point in as many goals with the primary assist, while Dylan DeMelo earned the secondary.
Springfield got on the board five minutes later. Trent Vogelhuber cut in and put a shot on net from the slot. Anderson made the save, but Marko Dano was right behind him to pick up the rebound for his seventh tally of the season.
However, Worcester maintained momentum and built up a 3-1 lead to round out the second period. Taylor Fedun set up Evan Trupp to light the lamp on the power play at the 12:53 mark. Matt Taormina picked up credit for the secondary assist.
The Falcons rallied back and stuck twice in the third period to force overtime. At the 3:17 mark, T.J. Tynan fired a cross-ice feed to Jaime Sifers, who let off a shot from the right wing circle and cut the Shark's lead to one. Dano earned his second point of the night on the play.
Springfield evened the score with 1:29 remaining in the contest. Luke Adam started the play in the right corner. He passed back to Ryan Craig, who quickly redirected a feed to Tynan by the left goal post. Tynan notched his fourth goal of the season, and first since Dec. 20 at Hershey, to send the game into extra time.
After a scoreless overtime frame, Rychel gave the Falcons a 4-3 shootout victory over the Sharks.
The Springfield Falcons host the Manchester Monarchs on Sunday, Jan. 4 at 3 p.m.
Springfield Falcons ticket packages are on sale now. To reserve your seats, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visit the team office inside the MassMutual Center Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For all the latest Falcons information and updates, follow the back-to-back Northeast Division Champions at www.falconsahl.com or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/falconsahl and on Twitter (@TheFalconsAHL) using #SPRFalcons!
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2015
- Admirals Stop Dogs, Snap Skid - Milwaukee Admirals
- Leighton Slams Door Shut on Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Grab Two Points Despite Losses to Phantoms - Norfolk Admirals
- Falcons Slip Past Sharks, 4-3, in Shootout - Springfield Falcons
- Winless Streak Hits Three For Bridgeport - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rockford Spoils Sopel's Night - Chicago Wolves
- Marchessault Nets OT Winner, Blunden Draws - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Top Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms Go Extra-Time to Win....Again - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- B-Sens' Comeback Falls Short, Lose 5-4 in OT - Binghamton Senators
- Szwarz Nets SO Goal, McKenna Shuts out Bruins - Portland Pirates
- Sharks Stumble Late in 4-3 Shootout Loss in Springfield - Worcester Sharks
- Barons Win 7th Straight, 5-2 over Lake Erie - Oklahoma City Barons
- Checkers' Skid Continues with 4-1 Trouncing by Texas - Charlotte Checkers
- Amerks Come up Empty-Handed in 4-0 Loss to Flames - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Fall in Shootout to Bears - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Edged 2-1 by the Wild - Utica Comets
- Wolf Pack beaten by IceCaps - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Fall to OKC 5-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- The P-Bruins Fall to Portland Pirates 1-0 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Albany Devils Erupt for Road Win - Albany Devils
- Laxdal Earns 500th Coaching Win in Stars 4-1 Triumph over Charlotte - Texas Stars
- IceCaps Whip Wolf Pack 7-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Battle Past Penguins in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Wild Takes Down North Division Leading Utica 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Rampage Notch 4-3 Overtime Win over Marlies - San Antonio Rampage
- Dallas Reassigns Jokipakka, Honka - Texas Stars
- Marlies Fall in Overtime 4-3 to Rampage - Toronto Marlies
- Monarchs Recall Kitsyn from Ontario - Manchester Monarchs
- Canucks Assign Tom Sestito to Comets - Utica Comets
- IceCaps Re-Sign Defenceman Parent to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.