Komets Grab Four Points from West
Fort Wayne, IN -- The Komets earned four points in three games for week 5 of 2017-18 and improved to 5-4-1 and 11 points after the first 10 games of the season. The Komets moved into fourth place in the Central division and trail first-place Toledo by five points.
Wednesday the Komets clipped the Eagles in Colorado 4-3 in the only meeting of the year on goals by Marc-Olivier Roy, Shawn Szydlowski, Artur Tyanulin and Jason Binkley. Ryan Culkin and Zac Larraza each contributed a pair of helpers. Garrett Bartus earned the win in the Fort Wayne net making 19 saves on 22 shots. Head coach Gary Graham celebrated his 200th Fort Wayne and ECHL career win including regular season and playoff games.
In the only trip of the season to Utah, the Komets and Grizzlies split a two-game set Friday and Saturday. Friday Ralph Cuddemi scored the first goal of the game at 8:58 to give the Komets a 1-0 lead before Utah answered at 12:48 to send the game into the first intermission tied 1-1. The Grizzlies solved goaltender Michael Houser at 4:59 of the second before Garrett Thompson pulled the Komets even at 7:34. The Komets rallied with a pair of goals in the third by Culkin and Jamie Schaafsma to take the first game 4-2. Houser earned his third win of the season making 33 saves on 35 shots.
Saturday Utah mounted a commanding 4-0 lead before the Komets threatened with a pair in the third before time ran out and the Grizzlies escaped with a 4-2 win snapping Fort Wayne's brief two-game win string. Dan Maggio and Szydlowski marked for the Komets while Houser suffered the loss stopping 13 of 17 shots before Bartus entered the game in relief at 16:04 of the second period. The Komets only allowed three shots on Bartus the remainder of the game.
This week the Komets will skate three games beginning with a morning affair at division rival and leader Toledo Thursday at 10:35. Friday the Komets return to Sweetwater Ice at the Coliseum to host the Kansas City Mavericks at 8pm. After a rare Saturday off, the Komets will host their first of seven Sunday home games when the Tulsa Oilers visit for a 5pm faceoff.
Komet leaders Marc-Olivier Roy leads with 13 points Roy and Jason Binkley lead with eight assists Garrett Thompson leads with six goals Binkley and Cody Sol lead the Komets and rank second in the ECHL in plus/minus with +11 Binkley ranks fourth among league defensemen with 10 points Bobby Shea leads with 16 penalty minutes goaltender Garrett Bartus enters week 6 ranked fourth in the league with a 2.09 goals-against average.
Streaking Komets Artur Tyanulin has points in each of his eight ECHL games played with the Komets (5g, 7a) and ranks fourth among ECHL rookies with 12 points (5g, 7a) and is second with four power-play assists Shawn Szydlowski had points in each road game of the week for a three-game point streak (2g, 2a) goaltender Garrett Bartus has a two-game win string.
For the Week -- The Komets out-shot their opponents 84-77 and are the stingiest team in the league allowing only 27.1 shots per game. Special K's were 2/9 on the power play to rank fourth in the league (7/33, 21.2%) and 11/13 on the penalty kill to rank sixth (38/43, 88.4%). The Komets scored first in both wins to improve to 5-2-0 when scoring the first goal. The Komets have outscored their opponents in the third period 13-6.
Thursday, Nov. 16, Komets at Toledo Walleye, 10:35am The first of two morning games at Toledo is this Thursday when the Komets face the Walleye at Huntington Center (7,431) at 10:35. Another morning start is slated for Wednesday, Dec. 6. Thursday's affair is the second of eight meetings this season after the Komets doubled-up the Walleye in Fort Wayne 4-2 for the home and season opener on Oct. 14. Toledo leads the Central division with a record of 7-2-2 and 16 points after 11 games. The Walleye skate at Indy Tuesday night before welcoming the Komets for breakfast on Thursday.
Friday, Nov. 17, Kansas City Mavericks at Komets, 8pm - Another contest against a division rival Friday when Kansas City makes their second trip to Fort Wayne Friday. The Mavericks are 4-6-0 after 10 games and trail the fourth-place Komets by three points. The Komets split a two-game visit by the Mavericks Oct. 20 and 21 in the first two meetings of the year. Friday's game is the third of six meetings this year. Kansas City hosts Tulsa for a morning game Tuesday and travels to Wichita Wednesday before heading for Fort Wayne Friday.
Sunday, Nov. 19, Tulsa Oilers at Komets, 5pm - The Oilers are in town for the only meeting of the season Sunday. The Komets were an even 1-1-1 in three meetings last season against Tulsa. In the last meeting of the year, the Komets shut out the visiting Oilers 3-0 on March 17. Tulsa is 5-3-4 after 12 games and reside in fourth place in the Mountain division, trailing first-place Wichita by six points. The Oilers are 1-0-3 in their last four outings and are coming off a shootout loss and overtime loss in a pair of games at Allen. Tulsa skates a morning game at Kansas City Tuesday, travels to Quad City Friday and visits Indy Saturday before arriving in Fort Wayne for Sunday's 5pm faceoff.
Family Four Pack, 4 for $55 Night Friday - Fans can take advantage of a 4-for-$55 offer at Friday's home game courtesy of Midwest America Federal Credit Union. Get four tickets, four hot dogs, four soft drinks, four chips for only $55 when purchasing the Family Four Pack at the Memorial Coliseum Ticket Office.
Friday night Marathon Nights - Again this year Komet fans can save on their Friday night tickets with Marathon. Fans can earn a buy-one-get-one-free ticket offer with the purchase of three fill-ups at participating Marathon locations. Save with your Marathon Fill-Up Card this Friday when Kansas City visits for an 8pm faceoff on Sweetwater Ice at the Memorial Coliseum.
Season Ticket Recycling Night Sunday - Sunday is the first Season Ticket Recycling Night of the year when the Komets host Tulsa. Komet Season Ticket Holders will be able to exchange any unused Komet tickets from previously scheduled home games this year for tickets to the game Sunday.
Meijer Family Night Sunday - The Komets present Meijer Family Night at every Sunday home game this season. Coupons for a Sundays 4-for-$36 ticket offer are available at all Meijer locations around the Fort Wayne area. Also, fans can bring their skates for a free open skate after each Sunday Family Night home game.
Kids Seat Free Night -- Once again this season the Komets will feature Kids Seat Free Nights. Another Kids Seat Free Night is scheduled for this Snday when the Tulsa Oilers visit courtesy Aunt Millie's, Parkview Health and the Komets. Any child under the age of 12 can see the game for free with a full-priced adult ticket purchase.
TIP-A-KOMET Tuesday at Applebee's - The Komets invite all fans to the Tip-A-Komet benefit at Applebee's North Clinton location by the Coliseum Tuesday from 6:30pm-8pm. Fans have a chance to be served dinner by a Komet player as the entire team will be on-hand for the special night at Applebee's. All tips benefit Applebee's Make-A-Wish Foundation Fundraising efforts. For more information fans can call the Komet office at 260-483-0011.
Komet Hockey on WOWO - Most Komet games are scheduled to air on WOWO AM 1190 and FM 107.5. All radio broadcasts also stream live at Komets.com presented by OmniSource Radio Recycle. Fans are invited to follow the action as Shane Albahrani handles the play-by-play. This Thursday's morning game at Toledo will be broadcast on WKJG ESPN AM 1380 and FM 100.9.
Get your tickets early - Tickets are on sale at the Coliseum Ticket Office and online at ticketmaster.com. Season Tickets also remain on sale at the Komet office at 1010 Memorial Way in Fort Wayne. For more information visit Komets.com or call 260-483-0011.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 15, 2017
- INDY PICKS UP VETERAN DEFENSEMAN VIA WAIVERS - Indy Fuel
- Lyytinen Assigned to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Monarchs fall in regulation for first time since Oct. 28 - Manchester Monarchs
- Huntebrinker Elevates Royals to Morning Win over Monarchs - Reading Royals
- Three-game road swing begins with a morning at Monarchs - Reading Royals
- FUEL BOW TO FIRST-PLACE TOLEDO IN FIRST GAME OF HOMESTAND - Indy Fuel
- Former K-Wing Curtis Valk Makes NHL Debut with Florida Panthers - Kalamazoo Wings
- RUSH ACQUIRE DZIURZYNSKI IN TRADE - Rapid City Rush
- Genesis Jersey Auction Highlight Mallards' Highlight Mallards' Promotion-Packed Weekend - Quad City Mallards
- Admirals-Gladiators Complete Five Player Deal - Norfolk Admirals
- Walleye Acquire All-Star from Rapid City - Toledo Walleye
- MAVERICKS BEAT OILERS IN KIDS DAY GAME - Tulsa Oilers
- Atlanta's Lane named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Nailers Make the Grade in Education Day Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Beast Extend Winning Streak to Three with Wild Win over Worcester - Brampton Beast
- Railers HC Get Schooled on Home Ice in Front of 6,088 fans - Worcester Railers HC
- Knodel's Hat Trick Propels Cyclones Past Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Adirondack's Ingram named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Adirondack enjoying success on lengthy road trip - ECHL
- Royals take to road for three games this week - Reading Royals
- Komets Grab Four Points from West - Fort Wayne Komets
- Dekanich Returned on Loan to Reading - Reading Royals
- WARNING LIFTS MALLARDS OVER FUEL IN OVERTIME - Indy Fuel
- OILERS EXTEND POINT STREAK TO SEVEN GAMES IN OVERTIME LOSS - Tulsa Oilers
- Warning Gives Mallards 2-1 Overtime Victory - Quad City Mallards
- Monarchs complete sweep of three-game weekend - Manchester Monarchs
- King Earns the Crown in 5-3 Nailers Win - Wheeling Nailers
- No Sunday Funday for Railers in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Cannata Returns, St-Amant Recalled to Rampage - Colorado Eagles
- Three-Point Effort from Winquist Not Enough for Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Admirals Comeback Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to Wheeling - Norfolk Admirals
- D'Agostini Stands Tall as Beast Prevail in Shootout - Brampton Beast
- Late Goal Leads Everblades to 4-3 Win at Orlando - Florida Everblades
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Komets Stories
- Komets Re-Sign Roy, Hodgman; Kuqali Brothers Also Added to Roster
- Komets Add Four to Preseason Roster
- Komets Preseason Roster Surges to 15
- Komets Snag Kelly Cup Champ Goalie Lukas Hafner
- Komets Snag Kelly Cup Champ Goalie Lukas Hafner; Forward Kevin Miller Also Added to Preseason Roster