Jacksonville Falls Short in First Extra-Inning Tilt of Season
JACKSONVILLE, Fla - The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp took the lead in the seventh inning, but were unable to hold it, falling 5-4 in extra innings to the Norfolk Tides in front of a reduced capacity sellout crowd of 3,616 at 121 Financial Ballpark.
Lewin Díaz hit his third home run in five games this season for Jacksonville (3-2), but the Jumbo Shrimp stuck out a season-worst 14 times at the plate. After losing the first three games of the series, Norfolk (2-3) has now won two in a row.
In every game this season, Jacksonville has scored first. Díaz's two-run home run in the third inning plated Bryson Brigman, who reached on an infield hit earlier on in the frame, to make it 2-0 Jumbo Shrimp Shrimp.
After retiring the first seven men he faced, Josh A. Smith worked around three walks in the third inning to keep the Tides off the scoreboard. Norfolk, however, evened the score in the fourth on a two-run homer from Brett Cumberland. It was the only offense Smith allowed, as he went five innings, giving up four hits and three walks, while striking out five.
The game remained tied through the middle innings. Parker Bugg was exceptional in relief, striking out five while retiring all nine men he faced.
Jacksonville surged back in front in the seventh. With one out, Santiago Chavez looped a single over first base and Brian Miller followed with a double into the right field corner to put two men in scoring position. After a walk loaded the bases, Brigman came though with a two-run single through the left side to put the Jumbo Shrimp ahead at 4-2.
In the top of the ninth, Rylan Bannon singled to lead off the inning for the Tides. Yusniel Diaz followed with a home run, just inside the left field foul pole, to even the score at 4-4.
In the 10th inning, Richie Martin led off with a single up the middle off of Brett Eibner (1-1) to plate the inherited runner from second base and give the Tides their very first lead of the contest. In the home half of the inning, Jacksonville put the tying run on third and the winning run on first, but were unable to cash in, as Marcos Diplán (1-0) got a groundout to end the game.
The Jumbo Shrimp will go for the series win on Sunday as left-hander Braxton Garrett (0-0, 4.91) makes his second start of the season, while fellow lefty Alex Wells will make his first start of the year for the Tides. First pitch is set for 3:05 p.m. and pregame coverage begins at 2:50 p.m. on ESPN 690 and online at MiLB.tv and ESPN690.com, as well as on the MiLB first pitch app.
It's a Baptist Health Sunday Funday and Youth Sports Day at the ballpark, featuring postgame kids-run-the-bases. Limited tickets still remain to spend Mother's Day with the Jumbo Shrimp, with gates opening at 2 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from May 8, 2021
- Bulls Win Fifth Straight, Rout Redbirds 15-3 - Durham Bulls
- Bats Left out at Sea in 10-0 Shutout by Clips - Louisville Bats
- Clips' Comeback Clips Bats - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Take Saturday Night Contest in Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
- Saints and Storm Chasers Suspended in Top of Fifth with Saints Leading 8-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Mets Lose Fourth Straight Game to RailRiders, 4-2, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Riley Adams Notches First Two Triple-A Homers in 8-6 Defeat - Buffalo Bisons
- Jacksonville Falls Short in First Extra-Inning Tilt of Season - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Knights Drop Saturday's Game to Stripers 7-3 - Charlotte Knights
- 14 Hits, 8 Runs Lead WooSox Past Bisons - Worcester Red Sox
- IronPigs clinch series over Red Wings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pen, Homers Push RailRiders Past Mets - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Fall 7-2 in Lehigh Valley Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Long Ball Plagues Mud Hens in 6-1 Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Nashville Cracks Three Homers in Win over Toledo - Nashville Sounds
- Called Up: Saints Add Outfielder Jimmy Kerrigan from Double-A Wichita - St. Paul Saints
- Tenth-Inning Miscues Tie Series at Two - Indianapolis Indians
- Saturday Night Matchup at Iowa Postponed Due to Rain - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - May 8, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Note: May 8, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- McBroom Single Caps Another Omaha Rally - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Walks off Indy in Extras - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.