Saints and Storm Chasers Suspended in Top of Fifth with Saints Leading 8-1
OMAHA, NE - On a cold and blustery Friday evening at Werner Park in Omaha, the St. Paul Saints handled the conditions better than the Omaha Storm Chasers. In the end, however, it was Mother Nature that came out on top. The game was suspended in the top of the fifth inning with the Saints up 8-1. The two teams were awaiting word on if the game would be resumed on Sunday or when the two teams meet again in Omaha, June 8-13.
The Saints showed extreme patience at the plate to the tune of nine walks. In the second, however, it was the big bat of Roberto Peña that put the Saints up. With one on and two out Peña drilled a two-run homer into the teeth of a 20-mile per hour wind, that went 355 feet with an exit velocity of 105 miles per hour, to give the Saints a 2-0 lead.
With the Saints up 2-1 in the fourth, control became an issue for Storm Chasers pitchers. The first four Saints hitters walked, the last to Peña that forced in a run making it 3-1. An RBI fielder's choice by Rob Refsnyder made it 4-1. With two outs, Brent Rooker walked, for the third time in the game, to load the bases. Ryan Jeffers then worked a full count before fouling a couple of pitches off. He then smoked a two-run single to left-center, and advanced to second on the throw to third, giving the Saints a 6-1 lead. JT Riddle then lined a two-run single to right putting the Saints up 8-1.
The two teams are scheduled for the final game of the six game series at 1:05 p.m. on Sunday. The Saints are scheduled to send LHP Andrew Albers (0-1, 15.75) to the mound while the Storm Chasers are TBA. The game can be heard on KFAN Plus, 96.7 FM.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from May 8, 2021
- Bulls Win Fifth Straight, Rout Redbirds 15-3 - Durham Bulls
- Bats Left out at Sea in 10-0 Shutout by Clips - Louisville Bats
- Clips' Comeback Clips Bats - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Take Saturday Night Contest in Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
- Saints and Storm Chasers Suspended in Top of Fifth with Saints Leading 8-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Mets Lose Fourth Straight Game to RailRiders, 4-2, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Riley Adams Notches First Two Triple-A Homers in 8-6 Defeat - Buffalo Bisons
- Jacksonville Falls Short in First Extra-Inning Tilt of Season - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Knights Drop Saturday's Game to Stripers 7-3 - Charlotte Knights
- 14 Hits, 8 Runs Lead WooSox Past Bisons - Worcester Red Sox
- IronPigs clinch series over Red Wings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pen, Homers Push RailRiders Past Mets - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Fall 7-2 in Lehigh Valley Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Long Ball Plagues Mud Hens in 6-1 Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Nashville Cracks Three Homers in Win over Toledo - Nashville Sounds
- Called Up: Saints Add Outfielder Jimmy Kerrigan from Double-A Wichita - St. Paul Saints
- Tenth-Inning Miscues Tie Series at Two - Indianapolis Indians
- Saturday Night Matchup at Iowa Postponed Due to Rain - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - May 8, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Note: May 8, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- McBroom Single Caps Another Omaha Rally - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Walks off Indy in Extras - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Saints to Honor Life of Wayne "Twig" Terwilliger, Presented by Killebrew Root Beer, on August 6
- Veteran Shows Top Prospect How It's Done as Albers Dazzles in Saints 12-2 Victory
- Saints Make It a Big Diehl with Seventh Straight Series Opening Victory, 5-4
- Saints to Honor 2019 Championship Team on August 5
- Early Hole Too Much to Overcome for Saints in 12-5 Loss to Indians