Bats Left out at Sea in 10-0 Shutout by Clips
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - Bobby Bradley and Ryan Lavarnway homered, five pitchers combined for nine shutout innings and the Columbus Clippers (3-1) proved turnabout is fair play to blank the Louisville Bats (1-3) 10-0 Friday night at Louisville Slugger Field.
Just one night after routing the Clippers in a shutout, 9-0, the Bats suffered an identical fate via Friday's defeat.
Louisville starter Riley O'Brien made his Triple-A debut and initially continued the recent trend of strong Bats starting pitching. O'Brien worked out of trouble in the second and pushed the rotation's streak of no earned runs to 14 consecutive innings with his first four scoreless frames.
Columbus took command in the fifth, however, coaxing three consecutive walks to load the bases and set the stage for a six-run uprising Oscar Mercado brought home two runners with a single and Bradley went deep on a three-run blast that capped the frame with the Clippers up 6-0.
Former Louisville backstop Lavarnway then burned his former team with a three-run homer in the seventh. Lavarnway, who suited up with the Bats during part of the 2019 season, is 5-for-11 with two home runs through his three appearances in the series.
Louisville outfielder Mark Payton reached base safely three times with a base knock and pair of walks. He now owns the team's longest on-base streak of 2021 after reaching safely in each of the first four contests of 2021.
The Bats and Clippers will square off again Saturday at 7 p.m. at Louisville Slugger Field. Louisville RHP Bo Takahashi is expected to take the mound against Columbus RHP Eli Morgan.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from May 8, 2021
- Bulls Win Fifth Straight, Rout Redbirds 15-3 - Durham Bulls
- Bats Left out at Sea in 10-0 Shutout by Clips - Louisville Bats
- Clips' Comeback Clips Bats - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Take Saturday Night Contest in Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
- Saints and Storm Chasers Suspended in Top of Fifth with Saints Leading 8-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Mets Lose Fourth Straight Game to RailRiders, 4-2, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Riley Adams Notches First Two Triple-A Homers in 8-6 Defeat - Buffalo Bisons
- Jacksonville Falls Short in First Extra-Inning Tilt of Season - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Knights Drop Saturday's Game to Stripers 7-3 - Charlotte Knights
- 14 Hits, 8 Runs Lead WooSox Past Bisons - Worcester Red Sox
- IronPigs clinch series over Red Wings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pen, Homers Push RailRiders Past Mets - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Fall 7-2 in Lehigh Valley Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Long Ball Plagues Mud Hens in 6-1 Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Nashville Cracks Three Homers in Win over Toledo - Nashville Sounds
- Called Up: Saints Add Outfielder Jimmy Kerrigan from Double-A Wichita - St. Paul Saints
- Tenth-Inning Miscues Tie Series at Two - Indianapolis Indians
- Saturday Night Matchup at Iowa Postponed Due to Rain - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - May 8, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Note: May 8, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- McBroom Single Caps Another Omaha Rally - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Walks off Indy in Extras - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.