Tenth-Inning Miscues Tie Series at Two
DES MOINES, IOWA - A wild pitch and two-out passed ball between Indianapolis batterymates Tyler Bashlor and Andrew Susac brought home the Iowa Cubs winning run in the bottom of the 10th inning on Friday night following a comeback attempt by the top of the Indians lineup. The I-Cubs tied the series at 2-2 following the 4-3 win.
The Cubs (2-2) did not record a hit off Bashlor (L, 0-1) in his 1.2 innings of work. The right-hander followed a one-out wild pitch to move the winning run to third with a swinging strikeout of Rafael Ortega, who hammered his third home run of the series to put the I-Cubs up 2-0 in the first inning. With two outs, Bashlor's 0-2 pitch to P.J. Higgins ricocheted off Susac's chest protector to allow the winning run to score.
Trailing early, the Indians (2-2) offense attempted a comeback in the middle innings. The first four batters in the lineup generated most of the offense, logging five of the team's seven hits and scoring all three runs off the bat of Will Craig.
Cubs (1-3) starter Kohl Stewart stunned the Indians offense in his 5.0 innings of work, his only hit allowed coming from a fourth-inning triple off the bat of Kevin Kramer, who then came around to score on a groundout by Will Craig. Replaced by RHP Michael Rucker with the top of the order up in the sixth, the Indians took advantage of the pitching change and logged back-to-back leadoff singles to set up an opportunity for Craig.
With one out, Craig roped a go-ahead double into left-center field for his first hit of the season to drive in Chris Sharpe and Cole Tucker.
Iowa tied the game up in the bottom of the eighth inning with a one-out home run by Cameron Maybin off Shea Spitzbarth, who took the Indians first blown save of the season in his Pirates organization debut.
Jake Jewell (W, 2-0) shut down the Indians offense in the final two innings of the game, surrendering just one hit and stranding runners at second and third with just one out in the 10th.
The evening's theatrics didn't begin in the bottom of the 10th. While going 2-for-4 at the plate, Susac was also tagged with catcher's interference in the sixth inning. Cole Tucker was later ejected from the game in the top of the 10th after arguing a call at first base.
The Indians and I-Cubs series continues with an 8:08 PM ET start on Saturday night in Des Moines, Iowa. Pittsburgh's No. 10 prospect rated by _Baseball America_, Miguel Yajure, is set to make his Triple-A debut on the mound. The Iowa Cubs have not named a starter.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from May 8, 2021
- Bulls Win Fifth Straight, Rout Redbirds 15-3 - Durham Bulls
- Bats Left out at Sea in 10-0 Shutout by Clips - Louisville Bats
- Clips' Comeback Clips Bats - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Take Saturday Night Contest in Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
- Saints and Storm Chasers Suspended in Top of Fifth with Saints Leading 8-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Mets Lose Fourth Straight Game to RailRiders, 4-2, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Riley Adams Notches First Two Triple-A Homers in 8-6 Defeat - Buffalo Bisons
- Jacksonville Falls Short in First Extra-Inning Tilt of Season - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Knights Drop Saturday's Game to Stripers 7-3 - Charlotte Knights
- 14 Hits, 8 Runs Lead WooSox Past Bisons - Worcester Red Sox
- IronPigs clinch series over Red Wings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pen, Homers Push RailRiders Past Mets - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Fall 7-2 in Lehigh Valley Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Long Ball Plagues Mud Hens in 6-1 Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Nashville Cracks Three Homers in Win over Toledo - Nashville Sounds
- Called Up: Saints Add Outfielder Jimmy Kerrigan from Double-A Wichita - St. Paul Saints
- Tenth-Inning Miscues Tie Series at Two - Indianapolis Indians
- Saturday Night Matchup at Iowa Postponed Due to Rain - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - May 8, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Note: May 8, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- McBroom Single Caps Another Omaha Rally - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Walks off Indy in Extras - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (37-42) at Iowa Cubs (35-43)
- I-Cubs Sweep Wednesday Night Doubleheader
- Doubleheader Information: Indianapolis Indians (37-40) at Iowa Cubs (33-43)
- Indians Drop Series Opener to Iowa
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (37-39) at Iowa Cubs (32-43)