Pen, Homers Push RailRiders Past Mets
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Home runs from Luke Voit and Derek Dietrich and 6.1 stellar innings from the bullpen powered the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders to a 4-2 victory over the Syracuse Mets on Saturday night. It was the RailRiders fourth straight win over the Mets.
In the fourth game of his rehab assignment, Luke Voit finished 1-for-4 with the home run and played seven innings at first base. The round tripper was his second of the season.
On the first pitch of the game, Voit crushed a home run against Mets starter Jordan Yamamoto. The RailRiders tacked on another when Kyle Holder drew a walk with the bases loaded to extend the lead to 2-0.
Brian Keller took the ball for SWB and was strong in his 2021 debut. The right-hander allowed only one run on one hit in 2.2 innings in his first game action since 2019. Reggie McClain (1-0) entered after him and faced the minimum in 2.1 frames.
In the top of the fourth, Dietrich led off against Yamamoto (0-1) with a solo home run to right field to extend the RailRiders lead to 3-1.
Trey Amburgey added an insurance run in the top of the ninth with a pinch-hit single against Tom Windle scoring Chris Gittens, who replaced Voit in the field.
Nick Nelson allowed two hits and struck out four in 3.0 scoreless innings of work, and Luis Garcia allowed a run to score in the bottom of the ninth, but held on to complete the win and earn his first save of the season.
The RailRiders continue their six-game series with the Mets on Sunday afternoon at NBT Bank Stadium in Syracuse. The game can be heard on the RailRiders Baseball Network with first pitch at 1:05 p.m. and pregame coverage beginning at 12:45.
The RailRiders 2021 home opener at PNC Field is scheduled for Tuesday, May 11 against Lehigh Valley at 6:35 p.m. For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-BALL or slide to www.swbrailriders.com/tickets.
POSTGAME NOTES: The SWB bullpen has allowed only one run in the last 11.1 innings over three games... The RailRiders drew a season-high nine walks in the game, and have walked at least eight times in three straight contests... The Baby Bombers have hit have hit multiple home runs in four straight games.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from May 8, 2021
- Bulls Win Fifth Straight, Rout Redbirds 15-3 - Durham Bulls
- Bats Left out at Sea in 10-0 Shutout by Clips - Louisville Bats
- Clips' Comeback Clips Bats - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Take Saturday Night Contest in Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
- Saints and Storm Chasers Suspended in Top of Fifth with Saints Leading 8-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Mets Lose Fourth Straight Game to RailRiders, 4-2, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Riley Adams Notches First Two Triple-A Homers in 8-6 Defeat - Buffalo Bisons
- Jacksonville Falls Short in First Extra-Inning Tilt of Season - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Knights Drop Saturday's Game to Stripers 7-3 - Charlotte Knights
- 14 Hits, 8 Runs Lead WooSox Past Bisons - Worcester Red Sox
- IronPigs clinch series over Red Wings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pen, Homers Push RailRiders Past Mets - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Fall 7-2 in Lehigh Valley Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Long Ball Plagues Mud Hens in 6-1 Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Nashville Cracks Three Homers in Win over Toledo - Nashville Sounds
- Called Up: Saints Add Outfielder Jimmy Kerrigan from Double-A Wichita - St. Paul Saints
- Tenth-Inning Miscues Tie Series at Two - Indianapolis Indians
- Saturday Night Matchup at Iowa Postponed Due to Rain - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - May 8, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Note: May 8, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- McBroom Single Caps Another Omaha Rally - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Walks off Indy in Extras - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - August 5, 2021
- Big Eighth Propels RailRiders past Worcester
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - August 4, 2021
- Worcester Gets Better of RailRiders in Series Opener
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - August 3, 2021