IronPigs clinch series over Red Wings
(Allentown, Pa) - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (4-1) defeated the Rochester Red Wings (1-4) 7-2 on Saturday night to secure their first series win of the 2021 season!
Edgar Cabral got the IronPigs on the scoreboard first in the bottom of the second inning. He hit a sacrifice fly off Rogelio Armenteros (0-1) to score Austin Listi and give the Pigs' a 1-0 lead. Lehigh Valley scored four more runs off Armenteros in the bottom of the third inning as Ronald Torreyes hit a two-run double that was followed by RBI singles from Listi and Luke Williams. The Pigs took a 6-0 lead in the bottom of the fourth inning as Listi hit an RBI single off T.J. McFarland.
Rochester scored a run in the sixth and eighth innings. Lehigh Valley scored their seventh run of the game when Cabral hit an RBI single off Ryne Harper.
Cristopher Sanchez was strong through four innings of work as he gave up just two hits while issuing three walks and three strikeouts.
Ethan Evanko (1-0) earned the win after making his triple-A debut in the game. He pitched two innings while allowing just one run off two hits with one strikeout. Bryan Mitchell earned his first save of the season by pitching 1 2/3 scoreless innings in relief to close out the game.
The IronPigs and Red Wings wrap up their six-game series on Sunday afternoon at Coca-Cola Park. First pitch is scheduled for 1:35 p.m.
Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2021 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from May 8, 2021
- Bulls Win Fifth Straight, Rout Redbirds 15-3 - Durham Bulls
- Bats Left out at Sea in 10-0 Shutout by Clips - Louisville Bats
- Clips' Comeback Clips Bats - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Take Saturday Night Contest in Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
- Saints and Storm Chasers Suspended in Top of Fifth with Saints Leading 8-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Mets Lose Fourth Straight Game to RailRiders, 4-2, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Riley Adams Notches First Two Triple-A Homers in 8-6 Defeat - Buffalo Bisons
- Jacksonville Falls Short in First Extra-Inning Tilt of Season - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Knights Drop Saturday's Game to Stripers 7-3 - Charlotte Knights
- 14 Hits, 8 Runs Lead WooSox Past Bisons - Worcester Red Sox
- IronPigs clinch series over Red Wings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pen, Homers Push RailRiders Past Mets - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Fall 7-2 in Lehigh Valley Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Long Ball Plagues Mud Hens in 6-1 Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Nashville Cracks Three Homers in Win over Toledo - Nashville Sounds
- Called Up: Saints Add Outfielder Jimmy Kerrigan from Double-A Wichita - St. Paul Saints
- Tenth-Inning Miscues Tie Series at Two - Indianapolis Indians
- Saturday Night Matchup at Iowa Postponed Due to Rain - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - May 8, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Note: May 8, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- McBroom Single Caps Another Omaha Rally - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Walks off Indy in Extras - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.