Bulls Take Saturday Night Contest in Memphis
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The Durham Bulls (Tampa Bay Rays affiliate) slugged their way to a 15-3 win over the Memphis Redbirds (0-5) Saturday night, making it five straight victories to start the season.
The 'Birds and the Bulls went back and forth early in the game. Memphis plated two runs in the first, taking advantage of Stetson Allie's lack of control. The Redbirds scored their runs on the inning without recording a hit, pushing across the two tallies via three walks, a hit by pitch, and an RBI groundout.
Durham and Memphis each scored once in the second, when Ryan Boldt singled home a run for the Bulls and José Rondón responded in the bottom half of the frame for the Redbirds. Durham powered its way in front in the next two innings - Kevin Padlo and Vidal Bruján each slugged two-out, two-run home runs in the third and fourth innings respectively to push Durham in front.
Bruján's homer signaled the end of the night for 'Birds starter Zack Thompson. The Cardinals' first-round pick in 2019 went 3.2 innings, allowing five earned runs on six hits with four strikeouts and two walks. The highlight of Thompson's night was his first inning, when he struck out the side (all swinging) to start the game.
The Bulls added insurance in the fifth, when Ryan Boldt hit a three-run home run with two outs. Durham has hit ten home runs combined over the past two games. The Bulls punctuated the win with a run in the eighth and six tallies in the ninth. Bruján was the star of the evening, finishing with two long balls and five RBIs.
The Memphis Redbirds are proud to welcome fans back to AutoZone Park this season. Ticket information can be found at memphisredbirds.com
Sunday, May 9 vs. Durham (2:05 p.m.)
- Redbirds Probable Starter: RHP Johan Oviedo
- Bulls Probable Starter: RHP Chris Ellis (0-0, 7.71 ERA)
Listen: MiLB First Pitch App
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from May 8, 2021
- Bulls Win Fifth Straight, Rout Redbirds 15-3 - Durham Bulls
- Bats Left out at Sea in 10-0 Shutout by Clips - Louisville Bats
- Clips' Comeback Clips Bats - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Take Saturday Night Contest in Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
- Saints and Storm Chasers Suspended in Top of Fifth with Saints Leading 8-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Mets Lose Fourth Straight Game to RailRiders, 4-2, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Riley Adams Notches First Two Triple-A Homers in 8-6 Defeat - Buffalo Bisons
- Jacksonville Falls Short in First Extra-Inning Tilt of Season - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Knights Drop Saturday's Game to Stripers 7-3 - Charlotte Knights
- 14 Hits, 8 Runs Lead WooSox Past Bisons - Worcester Red Sox
- IronPigs clinch series over Red Wings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pen, Homers Push RailRiders Past Mets - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Fall 7-2 in Lehigh Valley Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Long Ball Plagues Mud Hens in 6-1 Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Nashville Cracks Three Homers in Win over Toledo - Nashville Sounds
- Called Up: Saints Add Outfielder Jimmy Kerrigan from Double-A Wichita - St. Paul Saints
- Tenth-Inning Miscues Tie Series at Two - Indianapolis Indians
- Saturday Night Matchup at Iowa Postponed Due to Rain - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - May 8, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Note: May 8, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- McBroom Single Caps Another Omaha Rally - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Walks off Indy in Extras - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.