Iowa Walks off Indy in Extras
DES MOINES- Rafael Ortega blasted his third home run of the year to give Iowa a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning.
Kohl Stewart kept the Indians offense in check, allowing just one hit, one walk and one earned run in his five innings of work. Stewart tied a career-high with nine strikeouts.
Kevin Kramer got the first hit of the ballgame for Indy, hitting a triple down the first base line. Kramer would come around to score on a ground out from Will Craig.
Iowa kept a 2-1 lead into the sixth inning when Will Craig came through again with a two-run double, scoring Chris Sharpe
and Cole Tucker who had previously singled.
The I-Cubs threatened Indianapolis' lead in the bottom of the sixth, but Kyle Keller got out of a no outs, bases loaded jam by striking out the side.
Outfielder Cameron Maybin recorded his first hit for the I-Cubs in the bottom of the eighth inning, a solo home run over the left field wall to knot the game at three.
In Iowa's first extra innings game of the season, Indianapolis pitcher Tyler Bashlor and catcher Andrew Susac had a miscommunication, allowing Andrew Romine to score the winning run from third base on a passed ball.
In his Iowa Cubs debut, Kohl Stewart tied a career-high in strikeouts with nine. It is the third time he has punched out nine in a game in his career, most recently on June 10th, 2018 with Double-A Chattanooga.
Iowa Cubs pitchers combined for 16 strikeouts tying their season-high from the 2019 campaign.
Cameron Maybin recorded his first hit of the season for Iowa, a solo home run to tie the game in the bottom of the eighth inning.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from May 8, 2021
- Bulls Win Fifth Straight, Rout Redbirds 15-3 - Durham Bulls
- Bats Left out at Sea in 10-0 Shutout by Clips - Louisville Bats
- Clips' Comeback Clips Bats - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Take Saturday Night Contest in Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
- Saints and Storm Chasers Suspended in Top of Fifth with Saints Leading 8-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Mets Lose Fourth Straight Game to RailRiders, 4-2, on Saturday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Riley Adams Notches First Two Triple-A Homers in 8-6 Defeat - Buffalo Bisons
- Jacksonville Falls Short in First Extra-Inning Tilt of Season - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Knights Drop Saturday's Game to Stripers 7-3 - Charlotte Knights
- 14 Hits, 8 Runs Lead WooSox Past Bisons - Worcester Red Sox
- IronPigs clinch series over Red Wings - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pen, Homers Push RailRiders Past Mets - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Fall 7-2 in Lehigh Valley Saturday - Rochester Red Wings
- Long Ball Plagues Mud Hens in 6-1 Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Nashville Cracks Three Homers in Win over Toledo - Nashville Sounds
- Called Up: Saints Add Outfielder Jimmy Kerrigan from Double-A Wichita - St. Paul Saints
- Tenth-Inning Miscues Tie Series at Two - Indianapolis Indians
- Saturday Night Matchup at Iowa Postponed Due to Rain - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - May 8, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Note: May 8, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- McBroom Single Caps Another Omaha Rally - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Iowa Walks off Indy in Extras - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.