Iowa Wild Community Rink Program Expands to Johnston, Urbandale
DES MOINES, IOWA - Iowa Wild, in conjunction with Wells Fargo, the City of Johnston and the City of Urbandale, announced today a community ice rink will be built for public use in the two cities starting this winter.
"The Iowa Wild continues to be committed to growing the sport of hockey in Iowa and, thanks to some great community partners, we are once again expanding our rink program, this time to Johnston and Urbandale this winter," said Iowa Wild President Todd Frederickson. "Our rink program will now have seven rinks in central Iowa, ranging from Ames to Indianola and several communities in between. These rinks have become community staples since the beginning of the program, and we are thrilled more children and adults can enjoy ice skating and hockey in the winter months."
Iowa Wild and Wells Fargo announced the first community rink in December 2016, which was located in West Des Moines at Raccoon River Park. The following year, rinks in Ankeny and Waukee were announced. Last season, Ames and Indianola received community rinks, increasing the number of facilities in the area to five.
Johnston's rink will be built at the Johnston Commons, located at 6169 Northglenn Drive, while Urbandale's rink will be at Lion's Park, located at 72nd Street and Aurora Avenue in Urbandale. All rinks will be available for use in the winter months free to the public.
"We are thrilled to team up with the Wild to provide the sixth and seventh community rinks for the region," said Wells Fargo Region Bank President Marta Codina. "Wells Fargo and our team members love giving back to the community, and these rinks are great gathering spaces for each location they are placed. It will be wonderful to see residents in Johnston and Urbandale join in the fun this winter."
The rinks have been donated in a partnership between Iowa Wild and Wells Fargo. Each rink measures at 80 by 40 feet (a regular hockey rink measures 200 by 85). The rinks will be open as long as weather permits and the ice remains frozen.
"This is a highly visible park that provides a great environment for outdoor winter activities," said Johnston Parks and Recreation Director John Schmitz. "Parking is adjacent to the park which will make it easy for families to enjoy their winter experience. We want to thank the Iowa Wild for providing this opportunity for the residents of Johnston."
"We are very excited to partner with the Iowa Wild and Wells Fargo to get an outdoor ice rink in Urbandale," said Jan Herke, Urbandale Parks and Recreation Director. "Their generous donation will help us provide a new and exciting recreational activity for our residents during the winter months. We hope many will come out to enjoy skating at Lions Park this winter."
The Iowa Wild 2019-20 regular season is presented by MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and runs from October through April. For more information, please contact the Wild office by calling 515-564-8700 or by visiting www.iowawild.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 17, 2019
- Game #3 Preview: Tucson at Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- San Diego Gulls Launch All-Access Series Today on FOX 5 San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- San Diego Gulls to Celebrate Home Opener this Friday - San Diego Gulls
- Admirals Host Dog Day on Saturday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Skillet to Perform Post-Game January 24 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Griffins Announce Concession Deals for October Games - Grand Rapids Griffins
- P-Bruins Recall Kyle Keyser from ECHL's Atlanta Gladiators - Providence Bruins
- Jets Recall Nelson Nogier from Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- San Jose Pro Eaters, Joey Chestnut and Matt Stonie, Faceoff at First-Ever Barracuda Waffle-Eating Challenge - San Jose Barracuda
- Morrison Reassigned to Fort Wayne - Ontario Reign
- Get Discounted Tickets, Win Dach Autographed Jersey Friday - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners Recall Ryker Killins from Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- New Menu Items Introduced for Roadrunners Games - Tucson Roadrunners
- Monsters Offer New Monthly Pass Subscription-Based Ticket Program - Cleveland Monsters
- Binghamton Hockey Hall of Fame Committee to Induct Hennessy, Robitaille, Jaworski - Binghamton Devils
- Pearson Assigned to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- T-Birds Await Two Atlantic Division Tests on Road - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Iowa Wild Community Rink Program Expands to Johnston, Urbandale - Iowa Wild
- Rocket Triumphant in 5-4 Shootout Win over the Providence Bruins - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wild Stories
- Minnesota Wild Announces Promotions and Additions to Hockey Operations Department
- Minnesota Wild Names Joe O'Donnell New Radio Voice
- Iowa Wild Announces 2021-22 Single-Game Tickets on Sale Now
- Iowa Wild Announces Time Change to January 15 Home Game
- Minnesota Wild to Host Tom Kurvers Prospect Showcase at Tria Rink