Iowa Can't Handle Fort Wayne in Final Half of Third, Lose 5-2
February 5, 2023 - ECHL (ECHL) - Iowa Heartlanders News Release
Fort Wayne, IN - Zach White scored for Iowa in the first period and Jordan Martin tallied to make it a two-goal game in the final two minutes, but the Iowa Heartlanders suffered a 5-2 loss against the Fort Wayne Komets Sunday at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum. Fort Wayne scored three times in the final half of the third to extend their lead.
Darion Hanson blocked 44 shots in his Heartlanders debut (4 GA). Fort Wayne tallied an empty-net goal in the final ten seconds. Shawn Boudrias scored that empty netter and finished with two goals.
Iowa attempted 28 shots and trailed by one for the first half of the third period before Blake Siebenaler gave Fort Wayne insurance and a 3-1 lead in the final nine minutes. Four minutes later Samuel Dove-McFalls scored to make it a three-goal edge.
Rylan Parenteau blocked 26 shots for his second straight season-series victory.
White redirected a shot from Brendan Robbins to give the Landers the game's first goal. Carson Denomie got the secondary assist, ripping it back to Robbins. Next, Robbins unleashed a shot from the right-wing blue line and it bopped off White for his seventh of the season at 3:28 of the first.
Fort Wayne scored twice in the opening nine minutes of the second and took a 2-1 advantage into the third.
The Heartlanders are back at home Wed., Feb. 8 to play the Indy Fuel at 7:05 p.m.
View the team's full promotional schedule at iowaheartlanders.com/promotions.
Iowa starts a seven-game home stand on Fri., Feb. 17 at 7:05 p.m. vs. Wheeling. Feb. 17 - Feb. 19 is the start of Iowa's Cancer Awareness Series, honoring those that have fought, are currently fighting or have battled cancer. Specialty theme jerseys will be worn for the weekend and are available for purchase inclusive of a postgame meet-and-greet on the DASH App. The games against Wheeling are Fri., Feb. 17 at 7:05 p.m., Sat. Feb. 18 at 7:05 p.m. and Sun., Feb. 19 at 2:05 p.m.
The Heartlanders continue the home stand Feb. 22, Feb. 24 and Feb. 25 vs. Indy for Iowa's Diversity Awareness Series, celebrating how sports bring us together. The Heartlanders will demonstrate their commitment to create and environment that fosters inclusion for all. Games take place Wed., Feb. 22 vs. Indy at 7:05 p.m., Fri., Feb. 24 at 7:05 p.m. vs. Kalamazoo and Sat., Feb. 25 at 7:05 p.m. vs. Kalamazoo.
Single-game tickets, group ticket options, partial plans and season ticket memberships are available for Heartlanders home games at Xtream Arena. Call 319-569-PUCK or visit iowaheartlanders.com/tickets for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 5, 2023
- Kaufman's Four-Point Game Leads Savannah Past Atlanta - Savannah Ghost Pirates
- Lethemon Secures Second Shutout in as Many Weeks with 40-Save Win - Toledo Walleye
- Oilers Hand Steelheads First Back-To-Back Losses of Campaign - Tulsa Oilers
- Lethemon Leaves Nailers Empty-Handed - Wheeling Nailers
- Steelheads Suffer 6-3 Setback in Tulsa Sunday - Idaho Steelheads
- Worcester Drops Weekend Finale to Stingrays, 4-2 - Worcester Railers HC
- Iowa Can't Handle Fort Wayne in Final Half of Third, Lose 5-2 - Iowa Heartlanders
- Fuel Fall to Mavericks on Sunday Afternoon - Indy Fuel
- K-Wings Synergize in Every Phase, Top Cyclones 5-2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Gladiators Fall to Ghost Pirates in OT - Atlanta Gladiators
- Rabbits' Win Streak Snapped in 4-2 Loss to Jacksonville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Dickman, Stinil, Preston Pace Thunder Past Rush - Wichita Thunder
- Stingrays Complete Sweep of Worcester on the Road - South Carolina Stingrays
- Rush Unable to Overcome Early Deficit in 6-3 Loss at Wichita - Rapid City Rush
- Cyclones Open Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to K-Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mariners Drop Weekend Finale in Newfoundland - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Maul Mariners 5-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - February 5 - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Railers, February 5 at 3:05 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs Icemen (3:05pm) - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oilers Down First-Place Steelheads in Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Leave Utah with Six Points - Allen Americans
- Fight Night at Maverik Center - Utah Grizzlies
- Thunder Quiets Rush, 6-2 - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Heartlanders Stories
- Iowa and Wichita Combine for 102 PIM in 4-2 Landers Defeat
- Iowa Comes from Behind to Win OT Thriller, 3-2
- Heartlanders Force OT, Thunder Win It, 3-2
- Jones Shines for his First ECHL Shutout in 2-0 Win over Wings
- Iowa's Late Resilience a Few Short Saturday in 4-2 Loss