Indians Lose Season Finale, 8-3
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indianapolis Indians rallied to tie the game with two runs in the bottom of the fourth inning vs. the Nashville Sounds, but closed out their 2021 campaign with a loss on Sunday afternoon, 8-3.
With the loss, the Indians (61-67) finished the season with a 34-30 record at Victory Field. They have notched a record of .500 or better in 16 of their last 17 seasons dating back to 2004 and 22 of 25 seasons in Victory Field history.
Facing a 2-0 deficit, a double off the bat of Eli Wilson - his first Triple-A hit - and a wild pitch with Jared Oliva on third base tied the game for the Indians.
Nashville (70-58) retook the lead with one run in the top of the fifth and broke it open with five runs in the seventh. Former Indians infielder Pablo Reyes launched a two-out grand slam to give Nashville the 8-2 lead.
A one-out triple in the bottom of the eighth inning off the bat of Jared Oliva, his fourth of the season, led to another Indians run being scored.
Carmen Mlodzinski (L, 0-1) made his Triple-A debut in relief of Osvaldo Bido and gave up two runs (one earned) in two innings. Zack Brown (W, 1-0) tossed 1.1 shutout innings in relief for Nashville.
Bligh Madris led the Indians offense with two doubles in the contest, extending his on-base streak to a team-high 26 games dating back to Aug. 27. His streak beat Anthony Alford's previous team-high of 25 games.
The Indians finished their season with a 4-5 record in the Triple-A Final Stretch. Their 19 home runs over those nine games totaled $950 donated to Indy RBI by Minor League Baseball.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from October 3, 2021
- Storm Chasers Complete Season with Comeback Win for Series Sweep of I-Cubs - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Knights Drop Final Game of 2021 to Redbirds 4-3 - Charlotte Knights
- I-Cubs Finish Season on Eight Game Losing Skid - Iowa Cubs
- Indians Lose Season Finale, 8-3 - Indianapolis Indians
- Redbirds Wrap up 2021 Season in Style - Memphis Redbirds
- Pablo Reyes' Grand Slam Leads Sounds over Indians - Nashville Sounds
- Season closes with 9-game losing streak - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- WooSox Close Inaugural Season with Series Sweep - Worcester Red Sox
- Castano Takes No-Hitter into the Eighth Inning as Jacksonville Claims Season Finale - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- ACC Baseball Championship Returns to Charlotte - Charlotte Knights
- Norfolk Tides End Season on High Note with Win - Norfolk Tides
- Clemens, Torkelson Go Back-To-Back in Season Finale - Toledo Mud Hens
- Saints Put a Bow on First Triple-A Season with 6-4 Win - St. Paul Saints
- Bulls Finish Historic Season with 86-44 Record After 3-2 Defeat - Durham Bulls
- Rain Ends RailRiders Season Early but with a Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (61-66) vs. Nashville Sounds (69-58) - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats 2021 Finale Cancelled in Columbus - Louisville Bats
- October 3 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Omaha - Iowa Cubs
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: October 3, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Syracuse Mets' 2021 Season Finale Cancelled Because of Rain - Syracuse Mets
- Noll Named Red Wings 2021 Team MVP - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - October 3, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Top Performances of 2021, No. 7: Rivera Lifts Indians in Rain-Shortened Win
- Miñoso Becomes 13th Former Indian Elected to Hall of Fame
- 'Tis the Season: Rowdie's Home Plate Holiday Coming to Victory Field
- Top Performances of 2021, No. 8: Sulser Catches Clippers with Seven Shutout
- Indianapolis 2021 Final Notes