Honkers Fall in Opener in Final Series of the Summer
Rochester traveled to Mankato to open their final series of the 2021 season with the Moondogs. The Honkers battled back from an early six-run deficit to bring the tying run to the plate but ultimately fell short 6-4.
The Moondogs jumped out to a 6-0 lead after three, scoring two runs in each of the first three frames. Jack Costello (San Diego) opened the scoring with a groundout and Carson Yates (UCLA) drove in a run with a single.
Mankato added to their lead in the second with a Luke Beckstein two-out, two-RBI single. In the third, Austin Garrett (Kansas St) delivered a sacrifice fly to right and Will Hanafan (Nebraska Omaha) plated another run with a base hit.
The Honker bullpen held the Moondogs off the scoreboard for the final five innings of the ballgame. Tony Lanier (Augustana) was lights out, retiring each of the ten batters that he faced with five strikeouts. Palmer Mickelson (RCTC) and Frank Craska (Lafayette) each tossed scoreless frames out of the bullpen as well.
Rochester got on the board in the sixth, helped by a Mankato error that scored Wyatt Rogers. (Minnesota St Mankato) They climbed back in the ballgame on a big blow by Ike Mezzenga. The freshman powered a three-run opposite-field homer to bring the Honkers within two. Rochester brought the tying run to the plate in the ninth, but could not pull any closer.
The Honkers are now 29-37 and 14-20 on the second half. The Honkers take on Mankato in their final game of the summer tomorrow at 6:35 from ISG Field.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 13, 2021
- Offensive Explosion Blasts Lakeshore over the Booyah - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers End Express' Playoff Hopes with 17-2 Win - Willmar Stingers
- Honkers Fall in Opener in Final Series of the Summer - Rochester Honkers
- Huskies Nearly Comeback against the Larks; Clinch Playoffs with Express Loss - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Overpower Woodchucks, in Final Away Game - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rox Shut out Mud Puppies, Win 50 Games for First Time in Franchise History - St. Cloud Rox
- Booyah Fall to Chinooks at Home - Green Bay Rockers
- Rivets Knock Around Kingfish for 15-5 Win - Rockford Rivets
- Pender Deals in Final Outing, MoonDogs Upend Honkers 6-4 at ISG Field - Mankato MoonDogs
- Mallards Dominate Fondy 11-1, Set up Elimination Game Tomorrow - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Fall in Regular Season Home Finale - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Patterson, Defense, Lead to 7-4 Win over Traverse City - Battle Creek Bombers
- Pit Spitters Lose to Bombers, Will Host Game 1 of Playoffs - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Logan Lee Named to Postseason All-Star Team - Green Bay Rockers
- Higgins Named Named Co-MVP, Reilly Brothers Garner Postseason All-Star Honors - Mankato MoonDogs
- Mallards Host Fond du Lac to Start Must-Win Series - Madison Mallards
- Three Bucks Named to NWL Postseason All-Star Team - Waterloo Bucks
- Booyah Open Final Series of Season - Green Bay Rockers
- Former Thunder Bay Border Cat Jacob Robson Debuts with the Tigers - Northwoods
- Northwoods League Announces 2021 Postseason All-Star Team. Adam Wheaton Makes Team - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Simpson Named NWL Co-MVP, Loftin Selected to Postseason All-Star Team - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Northwoods League Announces 2021 Postseason All-Star Team - Northwoods
- Former Thunder Bay Border Cat Debuts with Detroit Tigers - Thunder Bay Border Cats
- Long Ball Pushes Huskies to Sweep - Duluth Huskies
- Woodchucks Lose Extra-Inning Thriller - Wisconsin Woodchucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.