Rivets Knock Around Kingfish for 15-5 Win
After the Rivets fell to the Kingfish by 10 runs on the road on Thursday night, Rockford exacted its revenge in the form of a 15-5 victory over Kenosha on Friday night at Rivets Stadium.
The win improves Rockford's record to 14-20 in the second half and 29-40 overall with one game remaining in the campaign.
Rivets starter Brendan Lawry (So, Eckherd College) surrendered a first inning run on a sacrifice fly, but his teammates backed him up in the bottom of the 1st.
Rockford loaded the bases with no outs and Kevin Bushnell (Jr, Bennidictine) cleared them with one swing, lacing a 3-RBI double into the gap in right center to give the Rivets the lead.
Lawry settled in, keeping the Kingfish off the scoreboard in four straight innings, while the Rivets' bats continued to roll.
Rockford struck with another big inning in the 3rd, posting six runs. The big blow in the inning came on a bases-loaded single to center by Johannes Haakenson (Jr, Concordia-Wisconsin), which center fielder Cam Collier (Fr, South Florida) booted. The error allowed Haakenson to circle the bases for a little league grand slam to break the game open.
In the 4th, the Rivets scored two more times thanks to a Jack Cavanaugh (R-Jr, UW-Milwaukee) RBI and a wild pitch that scored Joaquin Monque (Fr, South Florida) to push the lead to 11-1.
Kenosha would crack Lawry in the 5th, as Matt Korman (R-Jr, UW-Whitewater) belted a grand slam to left field to cut the deficit to 11-5. That would be the last runs of the game for the Kingfish, as Lawry bounced back with a scoreless 6th.
Ty Rybarczyk (So, Illinois) came on for the 7th and dominated, striking out two batters. Following two unearned runs in the bottom of the 7th for Rockford, Rybarczyk came back out for the 8th and struck out three Kingfish.
The Rivets had some fun in the bottom of the 8th, as relief pitcher Elijah Sanchez (Jr, Northern Illinois) led off the inning and ripped a double down the left field line. The former Christian Life standout eventually scored from third base on a sacrifice fly to shallow right by DJ Noble (Fr, South Suburban College) for Rockford's final run of the game.
Brett Taucher (R-Jr, Quincy) hurled a scoreless top of the 9th to seal the victory for Rockford.
Tomorrow night, the Rivets will wrap up their 2021 season with another matchup at home against the Kingfish at 6:05.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 13, 2021
- Offensive Explosion Blasts Lakeshore over the Booyah - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers End Express' Playoff Hopes with 17-2 Win - Willmar Stingers
- Honkers Fall in Opener in Final Series of the Summer - Rochester Honkers
- Huskies Nearly Comeback against the Larks; Clinch Playoffs with Express Loss - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Overpower Woodchucks, in Final Away Game - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rox Shut out Mud Puppies, Win 50 Games for First Time in Franchise History - St. Cloud Rox
- Booyah Fall to Chinooks at Home - Green Bay Rockers
- Rivets Knock Around Kingfish for 15-5 Win - Rockford Rivets
- Pender Deals in Final Outing, MoonDogs Upend Honkers 6-4 at ISG Field - Mankato MoonDogs
- Mallards Dominate Fondy 11-1, Set up Elimination Game Tomorrow - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Fall in Regular Season Home Finale - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Patterson, Defense, Lead to 7-4 Win over Traverse City - Battle Creek Bombers
- Pit Spitters Lose to Bombers, Will Host Game 1 of Playoffs - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Logan Lee Named to Postseason All-Star Team - Green Bay Rockers
- Higgins Named Named Co-MVP, Reilly Brothers Garner Postseason All-Star Honors - Mankato MoonDogs
- Mallards Host Fond du Lac to Start Must-Win Series - Madison Mallards
- Three Bucks Named to NWL Postseason All-Star Team - Waterloo Bucks
- Booyah Open Final Series of Season - Green Bay Rockers
- Former Thunder Bay Border Cat Jacob Robson Debuts with the Tigers - Northwoods
- Northwoods League Announces 2021 Postseason All-Star Team. Adam Wheaton Makes Team - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Simpson Named NWL Co-MVP, Loftin Selected to Postseason All-Star Team - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Northwoods League Announces 2021 Postseason All-Star Team - Northwoods
- Former Thunder Bay Border Cat Debuts with Detroit Tigers - Thunder Bay Border Cats
- Long Ball Pushes Huskies to Sweep - Duluth Huskies
- Woodchucks Lose Extra-Inning Thriller - Wisconsin Woodchucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.