Mallards Dominate Fondy 11-1, Set up Elimination Game Tomorrow
Coming off a tight 4-3 loss in Mequon against the Chinooks, the Madison Mallards (22-14) hosted the Fond Du Lac Dock Spiders (21-13) and dominated, coming away with an 11-1 victory.
It was a good pitching matchup at first between the Mallards' Justin Medlin (Arkansas State) and the Dock Spiders' Ryan Ament (Mount St. Mary's).
Medlin went 5.1 innings and struck out nine, allowing just one run. Ament pitched 4.2 innings with the Ducks finally getting to him in the third and fourth and charging him with four earned runs.
Zach Storbakken (Madison College) hit his first home run of the season to lead off the third. It was the first of three Mallards home runs on the night.
Cam Cratic (Missouri State) hit a two-run double with two outs in the 6th to put the Mallards up 6-1. In the following inning, JT Benson (Louisville) hit his seventh home run to tack on one more.
The big shot of the night came off the bat of Charlie Szykowny (UW-Stout). Szykowny hit his first home run, a grand slam, to put the Mallards up by the score they eventually won by, 11-1. It was the first grand slam of the season for the Mallards.
With tonight's win as well as the Woodchucks loss against the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters, tomorrow night will serve as an elimination game for the Mallards. If they win, they make the playoffs and will face Fond Du Lac in the first round. If they lose, their season will end regardless of if the Woodchucks win or lose.
Tomorrow night's regular season finale against Fond Du Lac is scheduled to start at 6:35 p.m. with Joey Kalafut (Edgewood) on the hill for the Mallards.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 13, 2021
- Offensive Explosion Blasts Lakeshore over the Booyah - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers End Express' Playoff Hopes with 17-2 Win - Willmar Stingers
- Honkers Fall in Opener in Final Series of the Summer - Rochester Honkers
- Huskies Nearly Comeback against the Larks; Clinch Playoffs with Express Loss - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Overpower Woodchucks, in Final Away Game - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rox Shut out Mud Puppies, Win 50 Games for First Time in Franchise History - St. Cloud Rox
- Booyah Fall to Chinooks at Home - Green Bay Rockers
- Rivets Knock Around Kingfish for 15-5 Win - Rockford Rivets
- Pender Deals in Final Outing, MoonDogs Upend Honkers 6-4 at ISG Field - Mankato MoonDogs
- Mallards Dominate Fondy 11-1, Set up Elimination Game Tomorrow - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Fall in Regular Season Home Finale - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Patterson, Defense, Lead to 7-4 Win over Traverse City - Battle Creek Bombers
- Pit Spitters Lose to Bombers, Will Host Game 1 of Playoffs - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Logan Lee Named to Postseason All-Star Team - Green Bay Rockers
- Higgins Named Named Co-MVP, Reilly Brothers Garner Postseason All-Star Honors - Mankato MoonDogs
- Mallards Host Fond du Lac to Start Must-Win Series - Madison Mallards
- Three Bucks Named to NWL Postseason All-Star Team - Waterloo Bucks
- Booyah Open Final Series of Season - Green Bay Rockers
- Former Thunder Bay Border Cat Jacob Robson Debuts with the Tigers - Northwoods
- Northwoods League Announces 2021 Postseason All-Star Team. Adam Wheaton Makes Team - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Simpson Named NWL Co-MVP, Loftin Selected to Postseason All-Star Team - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Northwoods League Announces 2021 Postseason All-Star Team - Northwoods
- Former Thunder Bay Border Cat Debuts with Detroit Tigers - Thunder Bay Border Cats
- Long Ball Pushes Huskies to Sweep - Duluth Huskies
- Woodchucks Lose Extra-Inning Thriller - Wisconsin Woodchucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Mallards Stories
- Madison Mallards Introduce the Maynard's Dozen
- Mallards Fall in Divisional Championship to Traverse City
- Mallards Head to Traverse City for Divisional Championship
- Mallards Sweep Dock Spiders to Advance to Divisional Championship
- Mallards Look to Clinch Series in Fond du Lac