Pit Spitters Lose to Bombers, Will Host Game 1 of Playoffs
Battle Creek, MI - The Pit Spitters snapped their five-game win streak with a 7-4 loss against the Battle Creek Bombers on Friday.
With the loss, Kokomo clinches home field advantage for the first round, so game one will be played in Traverse City with games two and three (if necessary) will be in Kokomo.
The Bombers got on the board first, but the Pit Spitters answered in the second. Logan Hylek singled home one run and Mario Camilletti doubled home two, all with two outs to take a 3-1 lead.
The Bombers scored one more in the second and then erupted for a three-run sixth to take the lead. The Pit Spitters scored one run in the eighth, but the tying run was thrown out trying to score on a sac fly.
They brought the tying run to the plate in the ninth but failed to score and dropped game one of the series.
Bunting and baserunning were bad for Traverse City tonight. Twixe in the game, the Pit Spitters had runners on first and second with nobody out. In both instances they failed to bunt the runners over and didn't score in either inning.
In the second, Zeb Roos was thrown out taking a big turn around third base. The Pit Spitters would have loaded the bases with one out but went to two outs instead. With two on and no outs in the seventh, Hylek was picked off of second base for out number one. Later in the inning, Mario Camilletti was thrown out at home trying to score on a double. And in the eighth, Roos was thrown out at the plate trying to score.
The Pit Spitters walked six more times. They are third in Northwoods League history in walks with 407, four behind second place.
Mario Camilletti walked twice to push his season total to 58. He leads the league in walks and is tied for 12th all-time for a season, one walk behind the total he set in 2019.
The Pit Spitters wrap up the regular season tomorrow at 6:35. With the loss, Traverse City will host Game 1 of the playoffs against the Kokomo Jackrabbits. That game will be a 5:05 first pitch on Sunday, August 15.
For tickets, call 231-943-0100 or visit www.pitspitters.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 13, 2021
- Offensive Explosion Blasts Lakeshore over the Booyah - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stingers End Express' Playoff Hopes with 17-2 Win - Willmar Stingers
- Honkers Fall in Opener in Final Series of the Summer - Rochester Honkers
- Huskies Nearly Comeback against the Larks; Clinch Playoffs with Express Loss - Duluth Huskies
- Rafters Overpower Woodchucks, in Final Away Game - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rox Shut out Mud Puppies, Win 50 Games for First Time in Franchise History - St. Cloud Rox
- Booyah Fall to Chinooks at Home - Green Bay Rockers
- Rivets Knock Around Kingfish for 15-5 Win - Rockford Rivets
- Pender Deals in Final Outing, MoonDogs Upend Honkers 6-4 at ISG Field - Mankato MoonDogs
- Mallards Dominate Fondy 11-1, Set up Elimination Game Tomorrow - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Fall in Regular Season Home Finale - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Patterson, Defense, Lead to 7-4 Win over Traverse City - Battle Creek Bombers
- Pit Spitters Lose to Bombers, Will Host Game 1 of Playoffs - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Logan Lee Named to Postseason All-Star Team - Green Bay Rockers
- Higgins Named Named Co-MVP, Reilly Brothers Garner Postseason All-Star Honors - Mankato MoonDogs
- Mallards Host Fond du Lac to Start Must-Win Series - Madison Mallards
- Three Bucks Named to NWL Postseason All-Star Team - Waterloo Bucks
- Booyah Open Final Series of Season - Green Bay Rockers
- Former Thunder Bay Border Cat Jacob Robson Debuts with the Tigers - Northwoods
- Northwoods League Announces 2021 Postseason All-Star Team. Adam Wheaton Makes Team - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Simpson Named NWL Co-MVP, Loftin Selected to Postseason All-Star Team - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Northwoods League Announces 2021 Postseason All-Star Team - Northwoods
- Former Thunder Bay Border Cat Debuts with Detroit Tigers - Thunder Bay Border Cats
- Long Ball Pushes Huskies to Sweep - Duluth Huskies
- Woodchucks Lose Extra-Inning Thriller - Wisconsin Woodchucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Traverse City Pit Spitters Stories
- Turtle Creek Stadium Hosts Inaugural Concert
- Joltin' Joe Horoszko Sends Pit Spitters Back to Championship Game
- Pit Spitters Win Back-And-Forth Thriller to Advance
- Pit Spitters Loss Sets up Winner-Take-All Game Three
- Pit Spitters Open Postseason with Big Win at Home