Hohlfeld Dominates in Spitters Win
TRAVERSE CITY, MI - The Traverse City Pit Spitters enjoyed a dominant performance on the bump as they downed the Great Lakes Resorters 6-1 Tuesday night at Turtle Creek Stadium.
In just his second start this season, Pat Hohlfeld tossed six innings of shutout ball on just one hit and seven punch outs in his fifth victory this summer. Pat has yet to suffer a single loss in Spitters red - going a perfect 9-0 between the 2019 and 2020 seasons.
Traverse City struck big in the top of the first inning as Resorter starter, Gavin Stone, recorded only one out while surrendering five runs on a pair of hits and two hit batsmen before being yanked from the ballgame. Great Lakes only managed one base hit through the ensuing five innings - a double off the bat of third baseman, Carter Troncin - while striking out five times, keeping the score locked at 5-0. In the top half of the seventh, and errand pitch from Danny Bullard allowed Chris Faust to cross the plate from third to increase the Pit Spitters lead to 6-0. Great Lakes responded with a tally in the bottom half as back-to-back singles allowed Trent Farquhar to plate Ryan Rifenberg on an RBI-single - but it was too little too late as Champ Davison struck out with men on second and third - sending the Spitters on to their seventh straight victory 6-1.
Over his last two games started, Pat Hohlfeld has allowed only one hit on no runs and ten strikeouts through 12 innings of work. Great Lakes starter and Dodgers fifth-round pick, Gavin Stone (0-1), lasted only 0.1 innings while allowing five runners to score - only three of them earned - while striking out none in his first loss on the campaign. The Pit Spitters improve to 24-4 while the Resorters fall to 4-24.
The Great Lakes Resorters return to Turtle Creek Stadium to host the Traverse City Pit Spitters Wednesday night at 7:05PM. Pregame coverage with Nate Wangler and Dan Hasty begins at 7:00 PM on the Northwoods League Baseball Network. Tickets are available for any Pit Spitters/Resorters contest at pitspitters.com or by calling the front office at (231) - 943 - 0100.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 18, 2020
- Woodchucks Rally Late, But Fall to Rafters at Athletic Park - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rox Beat Honkers, Magic Number to Clinch Is Two - St. Cloud Rox
- Rox Pile Together Seven-Run Inning in Series-Opening Loss - Rochester Honkers
- Larks Pitching Continues to Soar - Bismarck Larks
- Rafters Win 3-2 Versus Woodchucks in Wausau - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- MoonDogs Get Stung in Franklin Rogers Park Finale against StingersÃÂ - Mankato MoonDogs
- Stingers Come Alive for 17 Runs in Win over MoonDogs - Willmar Stingers
- Growlers Sweep Bombers, Extend Lead to 9 Games in SW MI Pod - Battle Creek Bombers
- Hohlfeld Dominates in Spitters Win - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rafters Head to Wausau for Final Time in 2020 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Tries to Even Series with Fondy - Green Bay Booyah
- It's the Final Week of the 2020 Northwoods League Season - La Crosse Loggers
- Harry Potter Night Jersey Auction to Benefit the Children's Theater of Madison - Madison Mallards
- Loggers Win 13-12 Thriller in Rockford - La Crosse Loggers
- Woodchucks Drop Final 2020 Game at Witter Field - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Dock Spiders Dominate Booyah in 10-0 Shutout - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rafters Beat Woodchucks 10-3 to Clinch Regular-Season Championship - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Traverse City Pit Spitters Stories
- Pit Spitters Release 2021 Schedule
- Pit Spitters 2021 Schedule to be Released at Drive Thru Lunch and Food Drive Saturday
- Limited Edition Pit Spitters Jersey Offered to 2021 Season Ticket Purchasers
- Films on the Field Moved to Next Week
- Movie Series at Turtle Creek Stadium Is Extended Two More Weeks