Loggers Win 13-12 Thriller in Rockford
ROCKFORD, Ill. - After surrendering five runs in the bottom of the first inning, the La Crosse Loggers surged back with seven runs in the second and held on to win a thriller by a final score of 13-12 on Monday night at Rivets Stadium. The Loggers improve to 22-23, while the Rivets fall to 15-25.
The Rivets took advantage of three hits, two walks and a hit by pitch in the first inning, but the Loggers responded to take the lead in the second, as Kyson Donahue (Arizona) collected two hits in the inning. Luke Seidel (UW-Milwaukee), Zach Braun (Viterbo) and Christian DiCochea (Washington) each had RBI base hits in a three-run sixth inning that helped La Crosse extend its lead to 12-7, but Rockford tied the game with four runs in the bottom of the seventh.
After loading the bases in the eighth inning, Joel Vaske (Kirkwood CC) drew a bases-loaded walk for what proved to be the game-winning run. Jack Mizgalski (UW-La Crosse) worked around two walks and an error in the ninth inning, recording a swinging strikeout to close out the game and earn the win for the Loggers.
Donahue led the Loggers with a 3-for-5 night with two RBI, while Braun added two hits and two runs scored. Vaske paced La Crosse with three runs batted in, while DiCochea and Ronnie Sweeny (Minnesota) each drove in two runs for the Loggers.
La Crosse and Rockford will once again face off on Tuesday night, with a 6:05 pm first pitch at Rivets Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 18, 2020
- Woodchucks Rally Late, But Fall to Rafters at Athletic Park - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rox Beat Honkers, Magic Number to Clinch Is Two - St. Cloud Rox
- Rox Pile Together Seven-Run Inning in Series-Opening Loss - Rochester Honkers
- Larks Pitching Continues to Soar - Bismarck Larks
- Rafters Win 3-2 Versus Woodchucks in Wausau - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- MoonDogs Get Stung in Franklin Rogers Park Finale against StingersÃÂ - Mankato MoonDogs
- Stingers Come Alive for 17 Runs in Win over MoonDogs - Willmar Stingers
- Growlers Sweep Bombers, Extend Lead to 9 Games in SW MI Pod - Battle Creek Bombers
- Hohlfeld Dominates in Spitters Win - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rafters Head to Wausau for Final Time in 2020 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Tries to Even Series with Fondy - Green Bay Booyah
- It's the Final Week of the 2020 Northwoods League Season - La Crosse Loggers
- Harry Potter Night Jersey Auction to Benefit the Children's Theater of Madison - Madison Mallards
- Loggers Win 13-12 Thriller in Rockford - La Crosse Loggers
- Woodchucks Drop Final 2020 Game at Witter Field - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Dock Spiders Dominate Booyah in 10-0 Shutout - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rafters Beat Woodchucks 10-3 to Clinch Regular-Season Championship - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.