Rox Beat Honkers, Magic Number to Clinch Is Two
Rochester, MN - St. Cloud (26-12) used a seven-run fifth inning to beat Rochester 9-3 in the series opener on Tuesday. The Rox magic number to clinch the Minnesota/Iowa pod is two.
Ben Norman (Iowa) led off the first inning with a double off the right field wall. Jack Kelly (Minnesota) later scored him on a sac-fly to center field. It put the Rox ahead 1-0.
In the fourth inning, Kodie Kolden (Washington State) reached on a fielder's choice and scored Sam Ireland (Minnesota). St. Cloud led 2-1.
The Rox exploded for seven runs in the fifth inning, extending their lead to 9-1. Norman led off with a walk and Andrew Pintar (BYU) and Jack Kelly singled to load the bases. Ireland, Jack Winkler (San Francisco) and Collin Montez (Washington State) all drew consecutive walks with the bases loaded, each scoring a run. To highlight the inning, Norman crushed a three-run double to left field.
Landen Bourassa (San Francisco) started the game and tossed four innings. Josh Gainer (LIU-Brooklyn) earned his second win of the season after striking out four batters in two innings pitched. Brandon White (Washington State) struck out five batters after pitching the final three innings and collected his first save of the season.
The Rox have now won 17 of their last 20 games.
With the win, the Rox continue to stay in first place of the Minnesota/Iowa pod. The Rox have a .684 winning percentage while the Waterloo Bucks have a .675 winning percentage. The magic number to clinch is two. St. Cloud has two games remaining in the season and the champion will be based on winning percentage. The Rox play at Rochester on Wednesday at Mayo Field with a 6:35 first pitch. They finish the season at home against Willmar on Thursday at 7:05 pm. There will be a post-game fireworks show, presented by Texas Roadhouse.
If you would like more information on tickets for the 2020 season, or more information regarding this press release, please contact the Rox front office at 320-240-9798 or visit stcloudrox.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 18, 2020
- Woodchucks Rally Late, But Fall to Rafters at Athletic Park - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rox Beat Honkers, Magic Number to Clinch Is Two - St. Cloud Rox
- Rox Pile Together Seven-Run Inning in Series-Opening Loss - Rochester Honkers
- Larks Pitching Continues to Soar - Bismarck Larks
- Rafters Win 3-2 Versus Woodchucks in Wausau - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- MoonDogs Get Stung in Franklin Rogers Park Finale against StingersÃÂ - Mankato MoonDogs
- Stingers Come Alive for 17 Runs in Win over MoonDogs - Willmar Stingers
- Growlers Sweep Bombers, Extend Lead to 9 Games in SW MI Pod - Battle Creek Bombers
- Hohlfeld Dominates in Spitters Win - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rafters Head to Wausau for Final Time in 2020 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Tries to Even Series with Fondy - Green Bay Booyah
- It's the Final Week of the 2020 Northwoods League Season - La Crosse Loggers
- Harry Potter Night Jersey Auction to Benefit the Children's Theater of Madison - Madison Mallards
- Loggers Win 13-12 Thriller in Rockford - La Crosse Loggers
- Woodchucks Drop Final 2020 Game at Witter Field - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Dock Spiders Dominate Booyah in 10-0 Shutout - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rafters Beat Woodchucks 10-3 to Clinch Regular-Season Championship - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.