Growlers Sweep Bombers, Extend Lead to 9 Games in SW MI Pod
The Kalamazoo Growlers swept the Battle Creek Bombers in Tuesday's doubleheader, winning the first game by one run, 3-2, and shutting out Battle Creek in game two, 4-0.
John Torroella (Brown University) started the first game for the Growlers and picked up his second win of the season, going 3.1 innings, giving up two hits, two unearned runs, and striking out seven. Tim Pomaville (Concordia University) took the loss for Battle Creek, giving up three runs over three innings on four hits and four walks.
The Bombers took an early lead as Alex Baumann (University of Minnesota Morris) scored on a balk in the bottom of the first inning.
The Growlers got their response in a big way when Brett Barrera (Stanford University) hit a three-run homer in the top of the third.
The Bombers scored a run in the fourth, but Trey Nordmann (Howard College) came in to shut the door for the Growlers and earn his seventh save of the season.
Ben Thomas (Grand Valley State University) made his second start of the season for Kalamazoo and extended his scoreless streak to 11 appearances. He pitched two innings, giving no runs on one hit. Connor Vallie (Davenport University) took the loss for the Bombers, giving up three runs (two earned) on four hits.
The Growlers took the early lead by scoring in the top of the first on an Aaron Cardoza (Davenport University) RBI single. They didn't let up, scoring three more over the course of the game, with Carson Greene (Stanford University), Brett Barrera (Stanford University), and Cade Stanton (Grand Valley State University) all coming in to score as the Growlers cruised to a 4-0 win and a sweep of the doubleheader.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 18, 2020
- Woodchucks Rally Late, But Fall to Rafters at Athletic Park - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rox Beat Honkers, Magic Number to Clinch Is Two - St. Cloud Rox
- Rox Pile Together Seven-Run Inning in Series-Opening Loss - Rochester Honkers
- Larks Pitching Continues to Soar - Bismarck Larks
- Rafters Win 3-2 Versus Woodchucks in Wausau - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- MoonDogs Get Stung in Franklin Rogers Park Finale against StingersÃÂ - Mankato MoonDogs
- Stingers Come Alive for 17 Runs in Win over MoonDogs - Willmar Stingers
- Growlers Sweep Bombers, Extend Lead to 9 Games in SW MI Pod - Battle Creek Bombers
- Hohlfeld Dominates in Spitters Win - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rafters Head to Wausau for Final Time in 2020 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Tries to Even Series with Fondy - Green Bay Booyah
- It's the Final Week of the 2020 Northwoods League Season - La Crosse Loggers
- Harry Potter Night Jersey Auction to Benefit the Children's Theater of Madison - Madison Mallards
- Loggers Win 13-12 Thriller in Rockford - La Crosse Loggers
- Woodchucks Drop Final 2020 Game at Witter Field - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Dock Spiders Dominate Booyah in 10-0 Shutout - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rafters Beat Woodchucks 10-3 to Clinch Regular-Season Championship - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.