Rafters Head to Wausau for Final Time in 2020
Wisconsin Rapids, Wis. - The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters are a pod-best 32-11, entering the final three games of the regular season, and are in pursuit of the best winning percentage in Northwoods League history. Tuesday's matchup is the last of the season against the Wisconsin Woodchucks at Athletic Park at 6:35pm.
On Monday, the Rafters unleashed their offense once more versus the Woodchucks, with a six-run third inning leading the Rafters to victory, 10-3. In his final game with the Rafters, Christian Sepulveda hit a double and a three-run home run to left field, his fifth of the season. The Rafters have hit 41 home runs in the 2020 season, the most since 2017.
Rafters pitching struck out eleven Woodchucks, raising their season total to 461, 57 more than the second-place Fond du Lac Dock Spiders. The Rafters have the best ERA outside of the Michigan Pod at 2.89, which would set a new franchise record. Starting pitcher Chris McElvain is just 3.1 innings away from qualifying for the Rafters ERA record. McElvain has allowed just three earned runs all season and has a 0.81 ERA.
With the win, the Rafters locked up home-field advantage throughout the playoffs, clinching the regular season championship with a .744 winning percentage. The NWL record is .746, set by the 2006 Rochester Honkers. The Rafters would set the record if they win their final three games of the regular season. The Rafters will start the playoffs with a divisional round battle with the La Crosse Loggers on Friday night. If the Rafters win on Friday, they would host the Wisconsin-Illinois Pod Championship on Saturday night.
First pitch between the Rafters and the Woodchucks at 6:35pm. Coverage begins at 6:20pm on AM 1320 WFHR.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 18, 2020
- Woodchucks Rally Late, But Fall to Rafters at Athletic Park - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rox Beat Honkers, Magic Number to Clinch Is Two - St. Cloud Rox
- Rox Pile Together Seven-Run Inning in Series-Opening Loss - Rochester Honkers
- Larks Pitching Continues to Soar - Bismarck Larks
- Rafters Win 3-2 Versus Woodchucks in Wausau - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- MoonDogs Get Stung in Franklin Rogers Park Finale against StingersÃÂ - Mankato MoonDogs
- Stingers Come Alive for 17 Runs in Win over MoonDogs - Willmar Stingers
- Growlers Sweep Bombers, Extend Lead to 9 Games in SW MI Pod - Battle Creek Bombers
- Hohlfeld Dominates in Spitters Win - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rafters Head to Wausau for Final Time in 2020 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Tries to Even Series with Fondy - Green Bay Booyah
- It's the Final Week of the 2020 Northwoods League Season - La Crosse Loggers
- Harry Potter Night Jersey Auction to Benefit the Children's Theater of Madison - Madison Mallards
- Loggers Win 13-12 Thriller in Rockford - La Crosse Loggers
- Woodchucks Drop Final 2020 Game at Witter Field - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Dock Spiders Dominate Booyah in 10-0 Shutout - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rafters Beat Woodchucks 10-3 to Clinch Regular-Season Championship - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.