Rafters Beat Woodchucks 10-3 to Clinch Regular-Season Championship
Wisconsin Rapids, Wis. - The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters (32-11) won 10-3 on Monday night over the Wisconsin Woodchucks (14-30), behind another sharp performance offensively and defensively. Four Rafters pitchers struck out eleven and the hitters got ten runs on six hits and nine walks.
The Rafters jumped out to a five-run lead in the third, responding to an early Woodchucks run. Jason DiCochea singled to left field with two runners on, scoring Angelo D'Acunto and Parker Nolan to give the Rafters their first lead. After a Hank Zeisler walk, Christian Sepulveda smacked a no-doubt three-run home run over the left field fence, his fifth of the season. The Rafters have a league-best 41 homers, best in the Northwoods League. The Rafters added on four more runs with four walks and one hit in the seventh to take a 10-3 lead.
On the pitching end of things, the Rafters picked up good innings from four Rafters. Chris McElvain struck out three in a short two inning start, preserving his arm for the playoffs. Travis Adams, in a rare relief role, allowed one earned run and walked none in two innings, winning his third game of the season. Stevens Point native Kaleb Schulist pitched three scoreless with three strikeouts, and the game was closed down by Hunter Waldis, who threw two scoreless with four strikeouts.
With the win, the Rafters clinched the regular-season championship in the Northwoods League Wisconsin-Illinois Pod. Witter Field will host any Rafters games in the Wisconsin-Illinois Pod Playoffs.
Tuesday night, the Rafters finish the season series versus the Woodchucks at Athletic Park in Wausau. First pitch between the Rafters and the Woodchucks at 6:35pm. Coverage begins at 6:20pm on AM 1320 WFHR.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 18, 2020
- Woodchucks Rally Late, But Fall to Rafters at Athletic Park - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rox Beat Honkers, Magic Number to Clinch Is Two - St. Cloud Rox
- Rox Pile Together Seven-Run Inning in Series-Opening Loss - Rochester Honkers
- Larks Pitching Continues to Soar - Bismarck Larks
- Rafters Win 3-2 Versus Woodchucks in Wausau - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- MoonDogs Get Stung in Franklin Rogers Park Finale against StingersÃÂ - Mankato MoonDogs
- Stingers Come Alive for 17 Runs in Win over MoonDogs - Willmar Stingers
- Growlers Sweep Bombers, Extend Lead to 9 Games in SW MI Pod - Battle Creek Bombers
- Hohlfeld Dominates in Spitters Win - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rafters Head to Wausau for Final Time in 2020 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Tries to Even Series with Fondy - Green Bay Booyah
- It's the Final Week of the 2020 Northwoods League Season - La Crosse Loggers
- Harry Potter Night Jersey Auction to Benefit the Children's Theater of Madison - Madison Mallards
- Loggers Win 13-12 Thriller in Rockford - La Crosse Loggers
- Woodchucks Drop Final 2020 Game at Witter Field - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Dock Spiders Dominate Booyah in 10-0 Shutout - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rafters Beat Woodchucks 10-3 to Clinch Regular-Season Championship - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.