Rafters Win 3-2 Versus Woodchucks in Wausau
Wisconsin Rapids, Wis. - The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters improved to a pod-best 33-11 with an electric 3-2 win over the Wisconsin Woodchucks (14-31) at Athletic Park at Tuesday. Brayden Bonner earned his league-best seventh save, stranding the tying and winning runs on base in the bottom of the ninth, silencing a Wisconsin rally.
Pitchers dominated Tuesday's game until the ninth. In a bullpen game for Wisconsin Rapids, Gabe Levy, Jimmy Borzone and Ethan Peters combined to shutout the Woodchucks for eight innings, striking out eight Woodchucks and allowing just two hits. Gabe Levy led the way for the Rafters in strikeouts with four over 2.2 innings.
Jace Baumann, the Woodchucks starting pitcher, pitched seven strong innings versus the Rafters division-best offense. The only run off the Mosinee native came in the fourth. Jason DiCochea, in another multi-hit game, singled sharply to center. Hank Zeisler doubled down the left field three pitches later, moving DiCochea down to third base. With one out in the inning and the bases loaded, Jacob Hinderleider lifted a flyball to right field, deep enough to score DiCochea for the game's first run on a sacrifice fly.
The game was 1-0 until the ninth, when the Rafters received some help to get insurance runs. Hank Zeisler reached on an error by the second baseman to lead off the ninth. Kyle Teel walked, moving the Zeisler to second. Jacob Hinderleider came to the plate with another runner in scoring position, and drove him in. Hinderleider singled through the left side of the infielder scoring Zeisler for his second RBI of the night. The Rafters would get an important third run on a wild pitch to take a 3-0 lead into the bottom of the ninth.
The Woodchucks then put up a comeback in the ninth, scoring two. Bonner recorded his eighteenth save of his Rafters career, inducing a foul popout by Isaiah Mirabal to end the game. 18 saves ties the Rafters career saves record, set by Layne Henderson in 2017 and Garrett Schilling in 2016.
The Rafters round out the regular-season with a home-and-home series with second-place Fond du Lac, starting at Herr-Baker Field on Wednesday. First pitch between the Rafters and the Dock Spiders at 6:35pm. Coverage begins at 6:20pm on AM 1320 WFHR.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 18, 2020
- Woodchucks Rally Late, But Fall to Rafters at Athletic Park - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rox Beat Honkers, Magic Number to Clinch Is Two - St. Cloud Rox
- Rox Pile Together Seven-Run Inning in Series-Opening Loss - Rochester Honkers
- Larks Pitching Continues to Soar - Bismarck Larks
- Rafters Win 3-2 Versus Woodchucks in Wausau - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- MoonDogs Get Stung in Franklin Rogers Park Finale against StingersÃÂ - Mankato MoonDogs
- Stingers Come Alive for 17 Runs in Win over MoonDogs - Willmar Stingers
- Growlers Sweep Bombers, Extend Lead to 9 Games in SW MI Pod - Battle Creek Bombers
- Hohlfeld Dominates in Spitters Win - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rafters Head to Wausau for Final Time in 2020 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Tries to Even Series with Fondy - Green Bay Booyah
- It's the Final Week of the 2020 Northwoods League Season - La Crosse Loggers
- Harry Potter Night Jersey Auction to Benefit the Children's Theater of Madison - Madison Mallards
- Loggers Win 13-12 Thriller in Rockford - La Crosse Loggers
- Woodchucks Drop Final 2020 Game at Witter Field - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Dock Spiders Dominate Booyah in 10-0 Shutout - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rafters Beat Woodchucks 10-3 to Clinch Regular-Season Championship - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.