Hildebrand Signs on for Third Year in Kalamazoo
KALAMAZOO, MI - The Kalamazoo Wings, proud ECHL affiliate of the National Hockey League's Vancouver Canucks, announced Thursday the team has re-signed goaltender Jake Hildebrand for the 2020-21 season.
Hildebrand, 27, returns for a third season in Kalamazoo after appearing in 46 games in 2018-19 and 39 games in 2019-20. The Butler, Pennsylvania native is 37-36-6 with two shutouts in 85 appearances over the last two seasons. The workhorse logged 4,743 minutes in net during that time and recorded 2,252 saves. His 182 appearances over the past five seasons is tied for first in the entire ECHL.
"I couldn't be more excited to be back in Kalamazoo for a third year," said Hildebrand. "Between the city, the fans and the organization, there isn't another place I'd rather be."
Following a four-year college career at Michigan State University, Hildebrand signed with the ECHL's Allen Americans, appearing in six regular season and eight playoff games in helping the Americans to the Kelly Cup championship in 2016. The 6-foot, 182-pound goaltender also played one season with the Indy Fuel and one with the Tulsa Oilers. He also appeared in three AHL games in 2016-17 with the Rockford IceHogs.
"Jake has developed so well under Joel Martin," said K-Wings Head Coach Nick Bootland. "We have challenged him to work on his condition level and when presented with a challenge, he exceeds our expectations. He has become very consistent for us."
Hildebrand played in 133 games as the Spartans' four-year starter from 2012-16. His best college season came in 2014-15 as a junior, where he went 17-16-2 with a 2.18 goals-against average and .930 save percentage.
The ECHL announced a return-to-play plan last week. The 2020-21 hockey season will feature a split schedule, as 13 teams will start Dec. 11, 2020 and play 72 games. 12 teams, including Kalamazoo will open the season Jan. 15 and play 62 games. The league will determine playoff qualifiers based on winning percentage. More information regarding an official schedule will be announced at a later date.
Stay tuned for more news and player signings as the 2020-21 Kalamazoo Wings roster takes shape, by heading to kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 15, 2020
- Goaltender Matt Jurusik Joins Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Announce December Home Game Dates - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Announce First Portion of 2020-21 Regular Season Schedule - Kansas City Mavericks
- ECHL Announces Schedule to Start Season - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Announce First 10 Games of 2020-21 ECHL Season - Rapid City Rush
- Solar Bears Announce Schedule for First 10 Games of 2020-21 Season - Orlando Solar Bears
- IceMen Announce Initial Schedule for the 2020-21 Season - Jacksonville IceMen
- Fuel Announce Schedule for First Nine Games - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays to Open 2020-21 Season in North Charleston on December 11 - South Carolina Stingrays
- 2020-21 Utah Grizzlies First Month Schedule Released - Utah Grizzlies
- Nailers Announce First Ten Games of 2020-21 Season - Wheeling Nailers
- Oilers Announce Phase One Schedule - Tulsa Oilers
- ECHL Announces Initial Schedule for 2020-21 Season - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Releases Initial 2020-21 Regular Season Schedule - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Announces Initial Schedule for 2020-21 Season - ECHL
- Hildebrand Signs on for Third Year in Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Solar Bears Welcome AdventHealth as New Rink Naming Rights Partner - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.