Haggerty Tallies Twice, But Penguins Fall to Hershey, 4-2
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins dropped a 4-2 decision to the Hershey Bears on Friday night at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (25-22-5-2) received two goals from Ryan Haggerty in the second period, but Hershey's Riley Barber ran away with a hat trick to complete a third-period comeback by the Bears.
Hershey broke the seal and scored the game's first goal on the power play at 2:47 of the second period. Immediately after the expiration of the Penguins' first penalty on a two-man advantage for the Bears, Aaron Ness set up Barber for a one-timer that found the back of the net.
The Penguins knotted the score at 9:08 of the middle frame on Haggerty's first of the night. Haggerty dangled around Liam O'Brien and then unleashed a scintillating shot to beat Vítek Vanecek. The Penguins' forward continued his red-hot run by putting Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on top approximately six minutes later. Joseph Cramarossa found Haggerty at the right circle in the Hershey zone, whose blast kissed off the post on the way to lighting the lamp.
With his two tallies on Friday, Haggerty has 12 points (9G-3A) in his past 11 games.
Jayson Megna tied the game, 2-2, with a backhand breakaway conversion 55 seconds into the final frame.
Late in the third period, a crucial save by Vanecek sent the Bears the other way in a hurry and led to the go-ahead goal. Mike Sgarbossa collected a loose puck behind the Penguins' net and fed Barber in the slot for his second tally of the contest and a 3-2 lead with 3:41 remaining in regulation time.
Barber added an empty net tally to secure the hat trick with 3.3 seconds left.
Tristan Jarry made 26 saves in defeat for the Penguins. Vanecek denied 30 bids to extend the Bears' winning streak to 10 games.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next game is Sunday, Feb. 24 against the Rockford IceHogs. Rockford's lone visit to Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza this season also serves as a Kids Free Sunday, during which children aged 14 and under can attend the game free of charge with the paid purchase of one adult ticket. Puck drop on between the Penguins and IceHogs is scheduled for 3:05 p.m.
Individual tickets for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton home games can be purchased at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, through all Ticketmaster outlets, or by contacting the Penguins' offices at (570) 208-7367. Season ticket packages for the 20th season of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins hockey, including full season, 12-game and Flexbook plans, are available by reaching out to the Penguins directly at (570) 208-7367.
Fans can also keep up with the Penguins through the AHL's brand new high definition streaming service, AHLTV. Subscriptions for AHLTV, which include live and archived games, begin at just $79.99 for the entire 2018-19 regular season. Fans can visit theahl.com/AHLTV now to register for a free AHLTV account and purchase 2018-19 subscriptions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2019
- Iowa Falls in the Shootout to San Jose 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Finish Homestand with Shootout Victory against Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Blank Manitoba in Dominant 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Moose Shut out by Laval - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Pull off Wild Comeback, Stun Comets in Overtime for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Stars Rally for Point, Fall in Shootout to Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Vande Sompel scores game-winner in Bridgeport's 13th overtime victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barracuda Down Wild in Shootout Behind Gambrell's Heroics - San Jose Barracuda
- Barber Nets Hat-Trick, Bears Rally Past Pens - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Hold off Springfield, 3-2 in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Shutout Marlies, 1-0, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Earn Point in OT Loss to Cleveland - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Fall 5-4 to Sound Tigers in Overtime - Providence Bruins
- Sens Move Point Streak to 14 - Belleville Senators
- Haggerty Tallies Twice, But Penguins Fall to Hershey, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Dalpe Dazzles in Return, Nets Two for Monsters in 3-2 OT Win over Ads - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Stumble at Home to Senators, 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Charlotte Holds off Phantoms 2-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Fleury Lifts Checkers over Phantoms 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Near-Miracle Comes up Just Short for T-Birds in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Fall in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to Eight - Utica Comets
- Marlies and Crunch Clash in North Division Battle - Toronto Marlies
- Sabres Recall O'Regan, Wilson - Rochester Americans
- Blackhawks Recall Jokiharju on Emergency Basis - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Trade Forward Vincent Praplan to the Florida Panthers - San Jose Barracuda
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Julius Bergman to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Goaltender Jonas Johansson Undergoes Successful Season-Ending Surgery - Rochester Americans
- Hogberg Backstopping Belleville on Playoff Push - Belleville Senators
- Syracuse Crunch Reschedule Crunch at Your Service at Turning Stone Resort Casino for April 1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Panthers Acquire F Vincent Praplan from San Jose Sharks - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Detroit Recalls Sateri, Assigns Ehn and Reassigns Fulcher - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Senators Acquire Abramov as Part of Duchene Trade - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Recall Defenseman Justin Wade from ECHL's Florida Everblades - Cleveland Monsters
- Ottawa Recalls Batherson and Brown - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Comets Sign Mike Szmatula to a PTO - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Face Third Straight Three-In-Three Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Devils, February 22 - Belleville Senators
- Wild Sets Franchise Record for Home Wins with 4-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Outlasted by Wild, 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Beat Bridgeport in Shootout, 3-2
- Penguins Come Back to Stay Undefeated against Devils
- Weekly: Penguins to Host Mid-Week Home Game against Devils
- Ryan Scarfo Recalled by Penguins
- Penguins Drop 5-1 Decision at Hershey