Barracuda Down Wild in Shootout Behind Gambrell's Heroics
Des Moines, IA - The San Jose Barracuda (29-13-2-4) killed off three penalties in overtime on Friday at the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines and earned a 3-2 shootout win over the Iowa Wild (28-16-6-5) (Minnesota Wild) thanks to pair of goals and a shootout winner from rookie forward Dylan Gambrell. The win was San Jose's first over the Wild in three tries this season.
The Barracuda opened up the scoring just 29 seconds into the first as Kyle Wood's right-point shot-pass banked off the stick of Gambrell (13) and in, extending the University of Denver products point streak to five-straight games. The Barracuda wouldn't register another shot for 10+ minutes and the Wild would draw even as Kyle Rau (16) poked in a loose puck that had trickled through Josef Korenar at 13:44 on the power-play. The goal for Rau was his team-leading 11th power-play goal of the season and it came just 12 seconds into the only PP of the first period.
In the second, the Wild would take their first lead as Matt Read (15) netted his second goal in as many games just 55 seconds into the period but the Barracuda would even the scored when Gambrell (14) swiped in his second of the contest from the low slot at 14:04.
In the third, each team hit a crossbar but the game remained tied at 2-2. At 19:46 of regulation, Alex True was called for a double-minor high-sticking penalty, and then at 1:21 of the overtime, San Jose was popped for a too-many men penalty. The Wild would get one shot on net during the full two-minute five-on-three and the game would need to be decided in a shootout.
In the shootout, Gambrell netted a goal in the bottom of the first round and Korenar stopped all three Wild shooters.
Korenar (18-5-1) earned the win by making 24 saves on 26 shots while Kaapo Kahkonen (16-9-7) suffered the shootout loss by allowing two goals on 25 shots.
The Barracuda are back in action on Sunday at 5 PM in Stockton before returning home to the SAP Center on Tuesday to wrap up the four-game season series against the Wild. Listen to all the broadcast action on the Sharks + SAP Center App, sjbarracuda.com/listen and watch at watchtheahl.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2019
- Iowa Falls in the Shootout to San Jose 3-2 - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Finish Homestand with Shootout Victory against Texas - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rocket Blank Manitoba in Dominant 3-0 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Moose Shut out by Laval - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Pull off Wild Comeback, Stun Comets in Overtime for Fourth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Stars Rally for Point, Fall in Shootout to Grand Rapids - Texas Stars
- Vande Sompel scores game-winner in Bridgeport's 13th overtime victory - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barracuda Down Wild in Shootout Behind Gambrell's Heroics - San Jose Barracuda
- Barber Nets Hat-Trick, Bears Rally Past Pens - Hershey Bears
- Wolf Pack Hold off Springfield, 3-2 in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Shutout Marlies, 1-0, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Admirals Earn Point in OT Loss to Cleveland - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Fall 5-4 to Sound Tigers in Overtime - Providence Bruins
- Sens Move Point Streak to 14 - Belleville Senators
- Haggerty Tallies Twice, But Penguins Fall to Hershey, 4-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Dalpe Dazzles in Return, Nets Two for Monsters in 3-2 OT Win over Ads - Cleveland Monsters
- Devils Stumble at Home to Senators, 5-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Charlotte Holds off Phantoms 2-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Fleury Lifts Checkers over Phantoms 2-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- Near-Miracle Comes up Just Short for T-Birds in Hartford - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Fall in Overtime, Extend Point Streak to Eight - Utica Comets
- Marlies and Crunch Clash in North Division Battle - Toronto Marlies
- Sabres Recall O'Regan, Wilson - Rochester Americans
- Blackhawks Recall Jokiharju on Emergency Basis - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Trade Forward Vincent Praplan to the Florida Panthers - San Jose Barracuda
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Julius Bergman to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Goaltender Jonas Johansson Undergoes Successful Season-Ending Surgery - Rochester Americans
- Hogberg Backstopping Belleville on Playoff Push - Belleville Senators
- Syracuse Crunch Reschedule Crunch at Your Service at Turning Stone Resort Casino for April 1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Panthers Acquire F Vincent Praplan from San Jose Sharks - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Detroit Recalls Sateri, Assigns Ehn and Reassigns Fulcher - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Senators Acquire Abramov as Part of Duchene Trade - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Recall Defenseman Justin Wade from ECHL's Florida Everblades - Cleveland Monsters
- Ottawa Recalls Batherson and Brown - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Comets Sign Mike Szmatula to a PTO - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers Face Third Straight Three-In-Three Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Devils, February 22 - Belleville Senators
- Wild Sets Franchise Record for Home Wins with 4-3 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Barracuda Outlasted by Wild, 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.